2002 fourwinns trailer brakes

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well we have a 2002 tandom axle trailer. Over the years it has had a few problems with the brakes like to almost lock up while on the freeway and we were forced to keep going with the brakes smoking. That happened 1 or 2 times. It was caused by a bad back up solinoid. It maybe has a few thousand miles at the most. Well the pads are now down to the scraper. I think the pads being so worn so fast is due to those prblems we had. oh ya the brakes are kodiak. Spelling? Where can i get the pads and should i replace the rotors i'm sure they are warped from being over heated but does it matter on a trailer? I also plan on doing a complete flush of all brake fluid with fresh stuff.:D
DSC09573.jpg

DSC09575.jpg

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 fourwinns trailer brakes

I would replace the rotors too. Its not too much more. I remember reading about one guy saying to replace the wheel cylinders or the piston as corrosion began to eat away at the piston as it pushed out. Do a search in this forum for it.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

well it's only fresh water so the calipers should be fine but i'll take a look at them

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Disc brake rotors and brake drums can be "turned" (trued) at any major auto parts store so they don't have to be replaced. If you are sure the brake solenoid is sticky it needs to be replaced as well. Wheel cylinders are not terribly expensive so it would be wise to replace them as well. Flush the system, refill and then bleed the brakes. Should be good to go.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if water fresh or salt gets behind the boot. they rust. it is all part of annual trailer maintenance.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know rotors can be turned i've done it many times in school but would rather get new ones.:D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

what do you guys think about balancing the tires it does see the highway most the time.:confused:

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

:DOkay so the brakes are the 10" 3500lbs model. There web site sell the rotors and calipers but no pads. Does that mean that it uses a pad from some car? If so what car? I can't find that info.

Thanks.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just found this seems these are the cars that use the pad that i need

Automotive Brake Pad #
Buick Skylark
86-90
Front
MKD-289
Chevrolet Cavalier
82-92
Front
MKD-289
Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, Ciera, Achieva
82-90
Front
MKD-289
Pontiac Sunbird
85-91
Front

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay so i whent and had the tires ballanced today. I also found that the pistons are not frozen. The guide pins had no lube on them so they were pretty stiff and one was frozen causing the pad to wear at a angle. I'm going to replace the rubber bushings the pins ride on and lube them up with synthetic brake grease.:D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i ordered new rotors there really warped and ordered new pads forgot weather they were ceramic or organic.:rolleyes:

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just checked they were ceramic.:D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one more ? on this trailer the hard steel brake line go right to the caliper. Shouldn't there be a flex line?:D

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

For sure it should be a flex line, every installation instructions I have ever read for disc brakes says to use a flex line because of course the calpier has to flex just a bit! I used flex lines on my drum install also, it made the installation much easier and if you have to change a wheel cylinder it's easier as well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have to have a flex line. The caliper floats and any pressure caused by one of the brake line is going to cause one of the pads to drag.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i know it's suspossed to have a flex line because it's a floaring caliper. We had lots of problems with the brakes when it was new. I never really noticed this till now. It came like this from the factory. Thats odd?:rolleyes: I gause i need to get some flex lines.:)