Need help for Chrysler outborad 45HP motor draining water

sheyuid

Cadet
Hi everyone: my motor is dropped in the river on the launch, how can I drain out of the water from the inside before I start it? Somebody told me it will be damaged if the water inside. Please help me. It's an old outboard moter, chrysler 45HP, model 4546. Thanks a lot!!! Also how do I maintain it.(like oil change, clean the carb, etc.)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Need help for Chrysler outborad 45HP motor draining water

First off take the spark plugs out, tip motor horizontal and drain any water that is in the cylinders. Then dump a bunch of marvel mystery oil into the cylinders put new plugs in and turn motor over by hand (make sure no battery is connected. Remove the carb and spray everything you can with WD 40 and wipe with paper towels or rags that are lint free. Take fuel pump apart and spray it down as well. Take starter apart and do the same. You want to stop rust before it happens and WD40 primary use is for water displacement.

sheyuid

Cadet

Hi Captain:

Thanks for your information. By the way, after I clean up everything and put them back, should I drain out the marvel mystery oil from the cylinders? Should I put some oil into the motor? When can I start the motor? Thanks again, CAPTAIN!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, I disagree a bit. That's a heavier engine and may be bolted to the transom.--- If the engine is still on the transom, AND IF IT DID NOT GET SAND OR MUD IN IT---pull the plugs and using the starter, crank it over until no water comes out. Then put a bit of TCW-3 oil in each cylinder. disconnect the fuel line and pump fresh fuel through it. Remove the carb bowl to drain any water. Now, reconnect the fuel line and prime the carb. Have an extra battery available because it will drain the existing one before it starts. Replace the plugs and crank until it starts. Once it starts, run it for at LEAST one hour to heat up everything and boil off any water still in the engine or components.

If the engine did get mud or sand in it, it is MANDATORY to disassemble and clean it.--PERIOD--NO EXCEPTIONS.

It is CRITICAL to start the engine as soon as possible after immersion. If you can not start it the same day, or say within 24 hours, then the best course of action is usually recommended to disassemble the engine and clean all components.

Even on a totally immersed engine, the starter will usually crank with no ill effects and the magneto will spark after the water is cleared from the points by cranking. Electronic ignitions are sealed and not harmed.

By the way: My chrysler 20 was upside - down in the water for about 45 minutes (after I flipped the boat) while I was towed back to the ramp and it was running when it submerged. It took me about hour of intermittent cranking off to the side of the ramp, to get it started, but it did start and I took the boat back out on the water.

sheyuid

Cadet

Hi, Thanks for all information. Actually my boat it fliped over, but only big rock under the river, so there is no mud and sand get into the engine. I did not try to start the engine, because the guy who towed back my boat told me "do not start the engine until you fix it, otherwise it will damage your engine". Any suggestion?

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Hi, Thanks for all information. Actually my boat it fliped over, but only big rock under the river, so there is no mud and sand get into the engine. I did not try to start the engine, because the guy who towed back my boat told me "do not start the engine until you fix it, otherwise it will damage your engine". Any suggestion?
Follow Frank's advice - sooner you get it running less chance of bearings starting to rust inside.

sheyuid

Cadet

Thanks for all your information!!!