Mercruiser 3.0 starter problem

kikemariana

Recruit
Hello. First of all, I would like to thank all participants, as this is the most useful boat forum I've been able to find in the web.
I have a 2003 Bayliner 175 with a Mercruiser 3.0 / Alpha 1 I/O, used only in sweet water and in a dry environment (a reservoir near Madrid, Spain). All pieces are original. Last Friday, after having being using the boat for waterskiing, when I tried to start the engine, I heard a terrible grinding noise. I took of the engine cover and saw that the starter would turn, but not the engine.
I presume that there is a problem with the bendix/solenoid by which the dents on the wheel that engages the flywheel of the engine to start it have been destroyed. I believe this may be fixed by changing the solenoid and the Bendix, which probably will mean putting a new starter set with all the ancillary pieces. The boat is now in the repair shop.
I am concerned, however, that the flywheel may have been damaged, as this could imply a much more expensive repair (I presume engine would have to be removed for that). IMO, that would be surprising, as I would also presume that it would be logical to make the bendix of a softer metal so the this would not happen. Any experience / suggestions with this?. May I expect a very high bill?.
Thank you in advance.

newcdnboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 starter problem

The clutch in the starter should protect your flywheel. As long as one of your starter bolts didn't shear off and the starter was out of alignment, you should be fine. I've been plagued with starter issues with my 3.0. I've been through 3 gear boxes (replaced by a very reputable rebuild shop) and I still stay close to shore waiting for it to fail again. The guy tells me that the gear box is the same used in most 305/350 GM's and he rarely has to rebuild one. He suspects that I may have one or two slightly loose bolts on the flywheel which may be striking the starter. You may have a similar issue. Good luck.

kikemariana

Recruit

Thanks a lot for your reply, newcdnboater. However, if the starter engine has a clutch and it is working, how come I hear the grinding noise?. Doesn't such noise mean that the bendix dented wheel is engaged with the flywheel, and that when the starter turns it is not able to move it because of broken dents in either the bendix or the flywheel?.
I presume that what you are telling me is that if the turning torque would be so high as to break the flywheel dents, the clutch would act. Is that correct.
Many thanks again.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Your flywheel may or may not be damaged. The only way to find out is to look and see. You say your boat is at the repair shop... if they are a good reputable shop they will look and determine if the flywheel is damaged and let you know. If you are simply looking for assurance and peace of mind.... sorry. The truth is you will have to wait and see.

(Having said that... I wouldn't worry if it were mine. The chances are good you will be okay. ;) )

kikemariana

Recruit

Dear Fishermark: you certainly got the point: my posting was about having some peace of mind until they call me from the repair shop and tell me what's going on. The guys in the shop are as reputable as you get in Spain, where most people seem to think that just because you own a boat you are a millionaire (you would be surprised to know that any spare or extra that you want to add to your boat, or even the boat itself is around 3x more expensive than in the US. As a matter of fact, I bought a wakeboarsd tower, wakeboard racks and wakeboard equipment in US internet stores at an incredible saving).
Thank you for your last remark, it certainly helped to know that you also believe it's unlikely that the flywheel is KO:). What is clear now, after the posts I've received is that if they call me and tell me that the flywheel is wrong, I will double check that it is true, as it would seem quite unusual.