Evinrude 9.9 HP

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice
so i have a 9.9 evinrude 2 stroke engine..and a honda 10 hp 4 stroke engine. the 4 stroke engine weighs about 100 pounds, and the evinrude weighs about 60. i was just wondering if a 4-stroke honda 10hp would go faster then the evinrude 2 stroke 9.9, 60 pound outboard motor. any ideas?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude 9.9 HP

This is all theoretical. You did not state the year of the motors so I am going to assume that they are both newer motors who's Hp's are both being measured at the prop.

In theory since the Hp of both motors are the same the work they would do would be the same and therefore on the same boat, their speeds would be the same. The only decernable difference would be their weight, making the two stroke go a little faster than the four stroke. I am sure, however, that this difference could be made up simply by how each is trimmed on the boat and probably quite a few other things.

The question, however could be asked two different ways. The way you asked it was which one would be faster, and the answer should be, that they are both about the same. If the question was asked, which motor would win a race of 5 miles, the two stroke would kill the four stroke every time. This is because the two stroke puts out more torque, since its cylinders fire on every down stroke, where as the four stroke only fires on every 2nd downstroke. What this means is that in a race the two stroke would lung out of the water and pull away from the four stroke within seconds of the start of the race and then with both at WOT, both motors should reach equal speeds. Since the 2 stroke is so far ahead, however, it would win the race, every time. The four stroke would never catch it.

That is my opinion.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With all else being equal I think 40# less on the transom would get a bit better speed.

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

sorry, they are both pretty old motors. not sure what year, but i would say early 80's, maybe late 70's. another way i could rephrase my question could be, if they were both the same weight, and they were both of 9.9 hp, would the 4 stroke go faster then the 2 stroke?

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

You say that you have both motors. Why not just mount them on a small boat one at a time and see for yourself? A small handheld GPS would prove which was faster.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Here's the best way to look at it.

Both motors will go the same speed, but the 2 stroke will have much higher acceleration then the 4 stroke. The trade off, however, is that the 4 stroke will give you considerably better gas mileage and will be a little quieter.

If it was me, since I would not be pulling up water skiers with a 10Hp motor, I would use the 4 stroke because saving gas is starting to get my attention these days, although a 9.9 Hp 2 stroke doesn't use a lot of gas, in my opinion, anyways.

Actually if it was me, as another poster said, I would try them both and see which one I liked the best. As for the work the 10Hp needs, if it does not work right, it is pretty much a piece of junk, in my opinion, so I would be addressing those issues directly and therefore, they would not play much into my decision. Unless we are talking about a cracked powerhead or something like that.

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

I think i will still get pretty good gas mileage with the 2 stroke as well. As far as the 4 stroke goes, all it needs is its plugs replaced because i had it running last year. But i think i am going to stick with the 2 stroke because i think the old evinrudes were a better built motor then the old hondas.