sea sick

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: sea sick

My father told me the best cure for seasickness is to bear hug a tree. :)

But actually, if "you caught a fish" and it seemed to go away," then just before you get the "tinge", get up & do something: plot a new course, check your lines/baits, bring in a line & change a lure, talk to someone on the radio, sign a song, etc

If you know someone is prone to seasickness, don't troll with the wind (engine fumes affect people); have them sit in the middle of the boat, keep head up, eat a pretzle or saltine cracker. (sometimes an empty stomach affects people). Let them drive the boat for a minute or two. Also they should be wearing a hat (regardless of the weather) and sunglasses.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

mthieme

Captain

I'm lucky, never had this problem.
I can't imagine having MSB & being seasick.
I'd have to move to Kansas!

rightcoastrob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know after a nice long day on the boat i get off and i still feel like im on the water:confused:I get a lil green around the gills on ocassion.Generally it happens when either im looking down have my hood up to where my vision is restricted or down in the cabin.Most the time i just get up and walk it off.I My good freind doesnt have good luck out on the water :rolleyes:he,s pretty much got himself sick at the ramp.My first time on salt water was on a 32 ft fly bridge we caught some huge cudas.Then the sea sickness set in and it wasnt a pretty picture.I remember that was a pretty rough feeling.I pretty much ened that day for everyone.I took one for the team as long as i could and it was time to go:eek:But then again ive had to make that trip myself now a few times off Erie becuse someones sick..

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I find that if you try to look at the horizon or the land helps with your inner ear:)

rdny041285

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dont really want to read all the different replies here so ill just add my input hope nobody else added all this but i sometimes use dramamine also but i like to use the wristbands. also puking a little never hurt but dont do it in a bucket. down here, a good puker is good for chumming those surface fish...as gross as it may sound.

w.lowe

Cadet

I was nearly sick once. We had caught about ten small sharks (around 24" each). I can't stand the way they smell. I had to sit down and drink a nice cold coke. All better after that. I've heard of some people fastening a golf ball where your hand and wrist meet. Palm up, of coarse. Some people say it works.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had inner ear infection and the dizziness is somewhat different from the seasick real McCoy ... but it can get your stomac to turn over. For genuine seasick problems having a full stomac prior to leaving the dock can do the trick. Having dramamine prior to eating all that stuff is also a safe method. If that dont work ... try another sport but fishing ... LOL

mthieme

Captain

Back in the 80's I worked for the Navy. We were going on trials. The dramamine was depleted before the ship was untied. Why would someone join the Navy who got seasick? What's wrong with this picture?

rdny041285

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just like someone who loves boats and loves fishing shouldnt stop just cause they get sick from it. I threw up all day fishing but i still pulled in more fish than anyone else on the boat because its something people love to do.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have two below the knee amputated legs.we chartered a 55 footer out of Point Loma in San Diego.It qwas a 3 day trip down the Baja.I tripped over a duffel bag left on the pier by an idiot,it was 10:00 pm and dark when we were boarding the boat.I broke my left tibia,just above my knnee capI still went on the trip,I stayed out there and had to tie myself to the ladder that goes to the upper bridge by the captain.we caught 81 Albacores and 2 yellow tails.My mind was on my swollen leg the whole time,I was the only one besides the crew that did not get sick.So yes,keep your mind on something besides getting sick.It works,everyone on the boat was taking dramamine,ginger,everything and they still got sick.

ebear

Seaman

You've heard it from me before, Mythbusters did the experiment and found that ginger pills work best. just ask my land lubber wife.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I rarely get seasick. When I do - I use Bonine. You can get it over the counter. works well for me.

If you're prone to seasickness, don't spend a lot of time looking down. don't spend a lot of time below decks, either. It's the confusion between what your inner ear is telling you and what your eyes are telling you. Look at the horizon.

In all but the rarest of circumstances... catching fish seems to help :D

pipedream

Recruit

I agree with the disparity between the eyes and ears. The big screens at disney world and othe parks have the same effect except in reverse.e.g your eyes say your moving but your ears say your not. Worse thing is to lay down in the cabin with your eyes open. Close your eyes if you have to lay down, at least this cuts off one of the signals. Looking at the horizon for extended periods works for me. The rougher the rock, the more the horizon moves. I limit my trips to where I can do this. I guess if I go on a trip where I can't then I will try one of the drugs.

Waterskiing210

Recruit

Funny story actually, my boyfriend and I went on a cruise. There was a young couple in the cabin across from us. It was for 2 weeks. The first week the wife of the young couple was feeling a bit sick. Then she could not stop vomiting and feeling terrible, she stayed in the room and then finally went out to go to the ships doc, turns out she was pregnant and it was a combination of the seasickness & morning sickness:cool: