Need help identifying boat!

Jay_in_Jersey

Recruit
Greetings! I'm new to the board, and to boat ownership. I picked up the boat and trailer seen in the attached photo with the intention of restoring and getting back on the water. Only problem... I have NO idea what model boat this is. I CAN tell you that it was manufactured by "Cruisers, Inc" and I am reasonably sure that it's a 1969 model. It was sold to me as an 19'. but that could be off by a foot in either direction. Can any of you boating experts out there help me identify this thing so I can get started gathering info for the resoration?
Thanks in advance!
Jay

Attachments

• pic_4743_21334.jpg
    pic_4743_21334.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need help identifying boat!

It really doesn't matter who made it, you should use new parts to restore it. Boats aren't like cars. The hull manufacturer typically isn't very important when it comes to restoration. It's just a chunk of shaped fiberglass and wood.

Jay_in_Jersey

Recruit

Thanks for the info folks. I am totally new to the boating hobby. I've always wanted one, but never thought I could afford one. When I found this boat on the cheap, I figured that I'd buy it and spend a year or so restoring it to its former beauty. I had no idea that using used parts wasn't a good idea... Why is that?

This is one of the reasons that I joined this forum, to pick the brains of those of you who know this stuff. You'll probably be seeing my posts quite a bit once I really get started with the boat.
I'd still like to know what kind of boat it is, if only for the fact that when I tell someone about it and they say "Whatcha got?" I can do more than look at the floor, shuffle my feet, shrug my shoulders and mumble "I dunno".:D
Take care guys, looking forward to your advice as this project moves along.

Beeched

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does it have a Hull Identification Number (HIN). I was able to track down my "59" Crestliner with just the HIN. I did not even know the manufacturer at the time I acquired it. My other boat a "76" Charger manufactured by All Family Craft Inc., I was able to track down the manufacturer by the HIN also. That was with the help of some great people on here for both boats.

Good luck with your project!

Jay_in_Jersey

Recruit

It does have a HIN, sort of... I have the old NJ registration card, and the HIN listed is an NJZ number, which I found out is a New Jersey registered home-made boat.
The only other info I can decipher from the reg is that it was registered as a 1969, 18' Cruiser pleasure boat.
Still looking, if only out of curiosity and the thrill of the chase now!

Jay_in_Jersey

Recruit

For used parts I was looking at stuff like windshield, seats, etc... If I can find them in decent shape.
Motor will probably end up being used too, but I'd look for a rebuilt, or I can rebuild if necessary.
Good idea? Bad idea?

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jay what does the back left side say(drivers side)welcome to iboats

Jay_in_Jersey

Recruit

It says "Cruisers, Inc" and the location. Somewhere in Wisconsin, if I remember right. I'd have to go outside and look at it again to be sure.

OK, so much for this being a quick restore job... After some research on the board, I realized that I am going to have to completely disassemble the boat; repair fiberglass; replace stringers; probably replace the floor, since I've already got it out; replace the transom since I'm already doing all this work; then I'll repaint the hull. Lot of work, but I think it'll be fun. I could probably get it in the water as-is next year, but I'd just be tearing it apart in 2 years to do all the work anyway, so I might as well get it set up the way I want it now. Right now it's set up as a fishing/crabbing boat... That won't last long. Once I take the top off, it's going to be modded into a light-duty dive boat, designed and set up for 3 or 4 divers to comfortably stow and don all gear. But also that can also be used to take the family out for day-trips. This is going to be a big project. Hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew...
I'll be posting over on the restoration thread from now on. I guess you were right, danond, it is just a chunk of fiberglass and wood right now, and doesn't really matter who made it or what model it is anymore. MAN... I've got some ideas! Kind of cool, having a clean slate!:D