Cracked sparkplug coil - epoxy?

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a cracked plastic casing on the coil to my #1 cylinder.
its still working well, can i seal it/fill it with epoxy to waterproof it?​

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cracked sparkplug coil - epoxy?

What engine?

If it is an older JohnnyRude, replace the coil.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is only a matter of time till it fails. Replace it now and save the hassle.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

F R is giving you good advice - replace it. Last time I bought one (a few months ago) for my 1972 Johnson 65hp, which uses the same coil as your motor, they were about 45 bucks. If you don't mind spending the money, I would replace both of them. The cost isn't too bad and you can chalk the expense up to preventative maintenance.

ebry710

Ensign

Replace it.

A coil is about exact distances and windings. They look simple, but creating high voltages by building and collapsing low voltage requires exact distances and undamaged wire insulation. A cracked case may have allowed a compromise inside the coil causing a lower voltage or a complete short.

Plus epoxy isn't that cheap and epoxying in this instance, when a new coil is available, reminds me of bailing wire or duct tape. They all are great to repair something on the fly or when your are broke, but not if you have a chance fix it or repair it by the manual or SOP.

freddyray21

Commander

F R is giving you good advice - replace it. Last time I bought one (a few months ago) for my 1972 Johnson 65hp, which uses the same coil as your motor, they were about 45 bucks. If you don't mind spending the money, I would replace both of them. The cost isn't too bad and you can chalk the expense up to preventative maintenance.

45 for both or apiece? if 45 dollars each they saw you coming so it must have been for both.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Freddy, you might be right ... my memory might be off. I bought stock OMC parts from my dealer, so I would have paid more than if I bought aftermarket parts off of a website. I'm thinking I paid 40 to 45 dollars but it might have been 35 - your memory gets crappy when you become an "old dog." Regardless, the price is still cheap when you consider the anoyance of a motor that decides not to run right just when the fish are hitting hard. I rebuilt my entire ignition system for that very reason. It just isn't worth the effort of a half baked fix.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

In Canada, I'm looking at $90-100 + tax, plus gas or shipping.
125$ is a non-exagerated figure for the 2 coils.

the 5-minute epoxy is looking like a really good idea, sounds like i want to seal it ASAP.

thanks for the tips, especially the part about WOT shorting​

freddyray21

Commander

they are about 20-25 a piece here. There are places who have them under 20 dollars.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

I am in canada too, try napa autoparts. there about 23 dollars each there.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try Iboats there around $25 if you cant find them local, or use ebasicpower.com i like there website. and they ship fast for cheap if you buy over $50 or over $100 is free!

-nate

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Things must be expensive in Montreal JT as in Ottawa they're cheap.

It depends on your use of the engine. If it is your only engine and boat, I'd spend the $$$ and get a new coil and keep the old one as a spare. But I fix up old engines as a hobby and if it was mine, I'd patch it. I cant afford to put new parts in an engine that will usually sit around.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

high prices? you gotta be kidding me;

if i want something today, i can get it locally for a premium.the shops out here are so broke they need to mark everything up by 25$.
ex: 55$ sierra 3wire rectifier
or: 44$ generic 5connector ignition switch.
*and gas is $5.36 a gallon here, most shops wont give a price over phone so i do a 60km round trip trying to find it in stock, then whether or not i'll cut off my leg and give it to the guy at the counter.

if i can wait 2 weeks i can get a 1/2 price deal on something already burntout on ebay, and get me all annoyed.

are there any DISCOUNT brp parts webstores in canada (a place in canada)?​

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Try www.marinemanifold.com They're in Vancouver and deliver to Canada only. They sell Sierra parts. Old style magneto coils are under $20 each.

btw, what make, model and year engine do you have? You never said.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

1971 Evinrude 50
50173S

Coil Part# 580821

is there a better aftermarket coil?​

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try www.marinemanifold.com They're in Vancouver and deliver to Canada only. They sell Sierra parts. Old style magneto coils are under $20 each.

will definately priceshop here and order if a good deal. any experience with their shipping times?​

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

JT, there are scores of websites reselling Sierra and CDI aftermarket parts for OMC motors. You can start right here at iboats. There is no reason for you to have to pay extraordinarily high prices.

The problem with trying to seal cracked coils is that they have usually absorbed moisture already. As such, its only a matter of time before they fail. If you never venture far from the dock, I suppose that isn't a huge issue but if you do, it can be.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

will definately priceshop here and order if a good deal. any experience with their shipping times?​

Don't know their shipping times (but I'll find out soon as I just placed an order with them today) but your coil is $32 there. You have a unique coil. They list is as # 582160 & 584632 though.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

JT, there are scores of websites reselling Sierra and CDI aftermarket parts for OMC motors. You can start right here at iboats. There is no reason for you to have to pay extraordinarily high prices.

The problem with trying to seal cracked coils is that they have usually absorbed moisture already. As such, its only a matter of time before they fail. If you never venture far from the dock, I suppose that isn't a huge issue but if you do, it can be.

Not really correct. Here in canada, our options are limited. Ordering from the US sites makes you pay border and duty, making it not so much a good deal anymore.

eavega

Lieutenant

Not really correct. Here in canada, our options are limited. Ordering from the US sites makes you pay border and duty, making it not so much a good deal anymore.

Not to encourage an international black market on outboard motor parts, but...

I had a buddy of mine in the UK that had a similar problem with having to pay duty/VAT on parts for his Harley ordered from the US. We worked for the same company (I was in the US office), and would see each other probably about every 2-3 months. When he needed a part, I would order it for him, receive it, re-package it and send it international parcel post. When we next ran into each other, he would reimburse me my costs, and take me out to dinner as a thank you. He saved a ton on the duty and VAT that way. It just takes a little more time to get what you need. If you have a friend in the US who is willing to help you out, its a good arrangement.

-Eric