1961 Evinrude Lark III 40HP

cmulchi

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the iboats forum, but have read many of your columns. I have a few questions I hope you all can help me with. I purchased a 1961 Evinrude Lark III 40HP for use on my 1955 Custom Craft Mahogany Runabout. The motor has not been run in nearly 10 years, but the owner did store it properly (fogged motor, changed lower case oil, stored indoors). The owner also said that the motor was functioning properly prior to storage.

I currently have a 1955 Johnson RD-17 25HP Electric Start Motor on my boat with the original 6V electrical system and want to switch both motors over to 12V.

1) Will the original Johnson Starter Solenoid/Junction Box work with the Lark III or is there a different setup required?

2) If the Johnson junction box will not work, is there a reasonable source for a replacement?

3) My Lark is a manual shift model (35524?)- can the Johnson Control Box I already have be used with the Lark III?

4) The Lark's flywheel is resistant to turning - I have applied a coating of penetrating oil to both pistons to free them up. The prop shaft in the lower unit engages properly and spins in nuetral. Is there any other issues that would prevent rotation?

Any help you all could rpovide would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Charles

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1961 Evinrude Lark III 40HP

Welcome to the iBoats forum.

1) the lark will be a 12v system and the RD17 will be 6v. The systems are not interchangable. And you do not need to 'switch' the lark over to 12v as it already is. If you can find a wiring harness for the lark it would help out. Or you can make one.

2) does the lark not have a 12v solenoid built into it? is it electric start? they usually do. if not, 12v solenoids are easy to come by anywhere. auto or marine stores.

3) yes, the control box should be the same. it is easy to verify also.

4) that's not good. it sounds like the previous owner did not store it as well as can be then. I'd remove the pull start (if it has one) and then put the engine on the ground carb's down and spark plugs up (and remove em) and pour some oil in the cylinders and let em soak. then put a wrench (or socket) on the big nut on the flywheel after a day or 2 and try and turn it back and forth until it frees up. But even if you get it freed up, if there's rust on the crank and bearings it will need to be taken apart to be cleaned or it will probabloy have big problems. Others will probably weigh in on #4.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It should be obvious at a glance that the 1955 and 1961 models take different junction boxes and cables. The 1961 has a plug-in cable on the side of the motor, the 1955 does not. The 1961 also has an ignition switch, the '55 does not. Because of the switch, there are more wires in the '61 cable.

The remote shift/throttle controls are compatable though.

#4 absolutely must be dealt with before anything else. If there is a serious problem there, consider it junk and don't spend money on it.

cmulchi

Cadet

Thanks to you both for your replies. After oiling the pistons and letting them set for 24 Hours, I was able to get the flywheel to turn freely and the compression looks OK (135/137PSI).

Does anyone know of a source for an ignition system (junction box, cable, etc.) for the Evinrude Lark III?

I am now doing all the routine maintenance (carb cleanup, points, plugs, impeller, etc.) and the motor should be ready soon. Any help with an ignition system source would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Charles

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

135 and 137#'s? Wow. that's the highest I have heard of for the old engines... Sure hope the electric start works well as pull starting it will be a bear!

cmulchi

Cadet

Steve,
I checked the numbers again and got 127 for each - must have misread my gauge since I was doing so at night. I checked with the original owner and he told me that the motor was used very little which could account for the decent compression numbers. I am curios, do you know of a source for the electronics for this motor?
Thanks,
Charles'

CATransplant

Admiral

Does anyone know of a source for an ignition system (junction box, cable, etc.) for the Evinrude Lark III?

Charles

It's not going to be easy. The cables tend to deteriorate over 50 years or so, so there's a high demand for them. Same with the box.

Your best bet is to start contacting used outboard parts sources, like www.tcoutboard.com, and to start watching ebay like a hawk.

The other solution, and it's one many have taken, is to mount a solenoid for the starter inside the cowling and make a cable to replace the old cable, but without the unobtainable plug and run the new cable through a grommet in the lower cowling. It all takes some doing, and it's certainly easier to use the original equipment.

Be prepared to pay a pretty penny for a cable, box, and plug. Lots of people are looking for them.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow, I didn't know repro's were still available. But yeah, not cheap!

cmulchi

Cadet

I was able to find a junction box with switch harness in good condition ($100) and now only have to get the cable that mates to the motor. I agree the NYMARINE is very high for their harnesses - I have looked into paint and decals from there as well and they are also very high.

After looking at the wiring diagram, I believe that I can fabricate the cable without too much trouble (I work in an electronics assembly facility). Just need to find info on wire gauges/colors, etc. My Lark actually has the connection port for the wiring in the starboard front corner of the motor (not on the side) and there is no specialized mating plug that I can observe (other than the one inside the junction box). I also looked at the 1961/1962 diagram and it agrees with the configuration of my motor.

Thanks for the lead on TCoutboard.
Regards,
Charles

KrazyK

Recruit

I also have recently gotten a Lark III, and I found a color copy of wiring diagram, with color codes, and wire sizes. Its for the model with generator, but works for the ones without I think, minor differences as the non-generator models don't have meter by ignition switch. Most everything else seems to match my old motor. Mine has same corner wire input, and wiring runs to box located under the back deck, and the starter relay is located inside this box.

Only real problem I had with mine is the choke button didn't function and had to pull gas line to kill engine.

I can email you the wiring diagram I have if you want it.

My email is Kurt.konrath@tinker.af.mil

Kurt