First post to say Hello!

J Walters

Recruit
I just joined this iBoats forum a minute ago after several hours of reading. I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jeremy Walters and I am from SW Louisiana. I just recently bought a 16 foot ALweld aluminum boat with a semi V. I reused the Mercury 25 that my father in law gave me a few years ago. It is a 1986 model but it runs like a champ. I had a local welding shop fab up a jackplate with 6 inches of setback. I am still having to finish rigging it out. My kids love it and we have burnt some fuel in the past few weekends. SO.....Hello to all and I look forward to discussing my new found passion. Jeremy Walters:D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: First post to say Hello!

Howdy, Jeremy, and welcome. :)

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome aboard. I too just joined this forum last month and have found a literal wealth of knowledge from a very diverse bunch of people; however we all seem to share our love of boats, fishing or the water.

Wish I would have found this place a little sooner, but not always comfortable asking or posting. The good thing is that I am here. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

welcome aboard. post your questions and concerns in the forums. the answers are here. ask first, before spending money. get yourself a OEM service manual.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Welcome, and ask away. I would suggest that you might want to use the search function before posting. Your question may have already been answered.

Also questions about the best motor; whether to use dino or synthetic oil; or whether to crimp or solder electrical connections, may elicit some very strong and controversial opinions. There may also be other quagmires but they don't come to mind right now.

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome aboard Jeremy, in a few days you will realise that you've committed yourself, the music which is playing in your head is a song by the eagles.
If you can name that tune, it means that you are well on your way. :D

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard.................come on in and join the party......:D:D:D

aspeck

Staff member

Welcome, Jeremy! But watch out for that guy, Limited-Time :eek:... ol' LT will get you into trouble!:p;):D

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Bootle..."Desperado", "After the Thrill is Gone", "All Night Long", "Bitter Creek", "Chug all Night", ???? I know I know..."Disco Strangler"?? "Geeks don't Want no Freaks"?? no, gotta be "Those Shoes"......:p C'mon, man, don't leave us hangin...:confused:

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Bootle..."Desperado", "After the Thrill is Gone", "All Night Long", "Bitter Creek", "Chug all Night", ???? I know I know..."Disco Strangler"?? "Geeks don't Want no Freaks"?? no, gotta be "Those Shoes"......:p C'mon, man, don't leave us hangin...:confused:

You forgot Hotel California. ;)

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Ahhh yes... Relax said the night man, We are programmed to receive.

You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave....:eek:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good to see you here. You will not regret being part of this great forum and you will never be left with an unsolved problem.
There are many true experts here.

jbjennings

Captain

Howdy and welcome from Northwest Louisiana!:)
This is an awesome site for working and chatting about old boat motors and boats!!! THere's not many places that you could get a mechanic that's worked on outboards for longer than I've been alive to give you FREE info. on exactly how to fix your motor??? Folks here will really take good care of you. The only problem I have is that there are some folks I'd really like to meet in person but they live too far away!!! It's neat, though, to get to talk to folks thousands of miles away often enough you consider them your friends. I couldn't care less about meeting some "celebrity" but would love to shake hands with some of my "outboard heroes" on the forum. Dockside chat is fun, too, when one can stay out of trouble!;)
Have fun with your new boat!
JBJ

Last edited:

beilwing

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome, I'm a newbie too, but have learned alot from some of these posts. There are some helpful folks here.

whether to use dino or synthetic oil;

Really? heated debate about this? Looks like I'm on my way to attack the search button.

J Walters

Recruit

Thanks to all for a warm welcome. I am a member of a few message boards (www.turbobuick.com) so I am well versed in the search functions and such. I come from a background in automotive repair and racing. I have several friends here in town that are boat people(one guy has a 3cyl 40 horse merc that puts out 97hp to the prop:eek:) I have a lots of good laughs reading the dockside chat. I look forward to sharing some stories too. Jeremy

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats......

Beautiful engine pictures. Turbo is the best way to force induction......

The 25 merc you have will just about live forever with the proper maintenance.... peek into the mercury outboards and search for de-carb, water pump etc. With your auto background you will have no problem with doing your own maintenance. We have some very seasoned pros that have worked on outboards all their lives (as a living).... then again we also have our share of hacks..... well you are no stranger to search.

Bob