Need help on buying a new (used) motor today!!

nobleprime

Cadet
Hello all,
This afternoon I am going to look at a couple of engines that a local marina has to offer and I am in need of some advice. The first one is a 1991 70hp Johnson for $1200 and the other is a 1992 88hp spl Evinrude for $1700. Both motors have power t/t and VRO and I am guessing they are both in similar condition. Anyway, can anyone shed some light on which one is the better deal? I'm looking for the most reliable engine I can find, and I have heard good things about the early 90's OMC motors, but I'm not sure which one of these is better. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on what to keep an eye out for while looking at one of these older engines. I know doing a compression test, checking the gear oil, and looking at the spark plugs are a good indication of the wear and tear on the engine but is there anything else to check to make sure I'm not getting a bomb. Thanks again.

glenn rich

Cadet
Re: Need help on buying a new (used) motor today!!

never heard of a 88hp ask to see & watch a leak down [ blowing air @ 100psi into the cyl at tdc to see how much passes by less is better 3 to 9 % is ok ] good luck

ftltony

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My buddy has a 88 on a 19 Seapro, Loves it like his luggage! I had a 70hp Johnson on my Key West Explorer. It was, simply put, the MOST trouble free motor I have ever owned in my entire life. I could run all weekend on 20 gallons of gas.

I guess we should also be asking, what are you putting this motor on? The bigger the boat, the more horses you are going to need....

1976SRV190

Seaman

Johnson and Evenrude are both great reliable motors but there were some Lemons over the years. And some that were outright bad. But, H vae not heard anythign bad about either of those motors, and did you say at the mairna? Test them both and run both and see how they run if you can. I say buy the 88 over the 70.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you have a heavy boat and nead to lug some people and gear, then go with the 88SPL. If the boat is lightweight and you won't be lugging much junque or passengers around with you, go with the 70. If the boat would be nicely powered by either, I'd go with the 70, unless top speed is REALLY important to you. When comparing on a properly rigged and propped boat, the 70 will drink considerably less fuel.
- Scott

nobleprime

Cadet

Thanks for the help. As for the boat, it is a 1978 21' starcraft aluminum center console. The engine that it had from the manufacturer was a 70hp merc. In terms of the pricing........... do these prices sound reasonable (1200 for the 70hp and 1700 for the 88hp)? Which one would be the overall better deal if they both ran the same? I really do appreciate it.

*The reason I want to know if they are a good deal is because the marina is a decent ways away from my house so it would only be beneficial for me to go there if the pricing was right.

ftltony

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If they BOTH run the same and the compression checks the same on both motors, your only consideration would be how "THIRSTY" the motors are but with that aluminum boat, Who Cares?!?!?!?

On my Key West, the boat weighed 850 pounds MINUS the motor so with the 70, it weighed approximately 1000 pounds with gear and my fat arse and I could get 32 to 38 mph out of her, all depending on how flat the water was on the Banana River. I ran, regularly, 30 to 60 miles a day, and at least 100 miles, if not more on the weekend fishing. I still had gas in the tank when I came home, not a lot of gas, but I filled up on Friday night and fished all day Saturday and Sunday.

My buddy Sam ran his 19 Seapro offshore and filled up the 44 gallon tank. He still had gas when he came home and we would run to 18 miles off Fort Lauderdale before we came off plane and started trolling. Then we trolled to 35+ miles out, did the turn, trolled back to 20 and then ran in.

I say get the 88 so you can beat all your buddies to the hole in the morning and back to the dock when you're done!-

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi guys,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 88spl is a 90 hp without oil injection. If this is the case, be careful to run premix oil / gas in that motor. I switched from a 70 to a 90 on my boat and am very happy I did. I only gained a few mph on top end, but the increased pulling power for skiers is where I really noticed the difference. As for fuel economy, the 90 hp isn't all that bad compared to the 70 as long as you avoid WOT. There's something to be said for having more power than you actually need, so you don't always run at WOT and make your motor work its hardest all the time.

nobleprime

Cadet

Are the motors good deals if they run well or should I continue to shop around?

iwombat

Captain

Speaking as someone with a 1978 Starcraft 18' SS - you want the 88. I've got an 85 on mine and I'll be going to a 115 I've got ready to go after this season. I think that 70 will disappoint you on the 21-footer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the 88spl does not have VRO, it is a permix version of the 90hp VRO.