79 40hp merc, stator came loose"again"- did damage- need help

kellyisu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I purchased a boat with a 1979 40HP 2 stroke electric start motor about a year and a half ago. Since I have had the motor I have changed some parts to get it running strong and healthy again. These are the parts that I have changed or replaced: rectifier, switchbox, stator, starter, rebuilt carb and fuel pump, water pump/impeller, pluggs, gas lines.

Here we go:

I changed the stator last fall as I was not getting spark which did take care of the problem. Actually the stator come loose from the four bolts that were supposed to being holding it secure under the flywheel which caused damage to the stator not allowing there to be spark. It ran like new after I replaced that last fall. I didn't get much of an oppertunity to run the motor much after that, maybe two or three times that fall due to high water.

I use the motor for trolling for walleyes on the Mississippi River. So when I run the motor it runs for many hours at a time.

It did sit in the garage all winter, and finally got to run it again 3 times about 2 months ago and then 3 more times last week.

When I did replace the new stator last fall I made sure that I used lock tight on the bolts to make sure they didn't come loose again and cause the same thing to happen. I do remember when tightening them that a few of them didn't seem to be as snug as a normal bolt would be when tighteing them. It seemed as if i could keep turning them but I was afraid I would bust one of them. So, I guess you could say it might of felt as if some of the threads may have been stripped, but they were tight and I did use lock tight so I thought it would be ok, as it did feel like that stator was going nowhere.

Went to take the boat out on the water yesterday, and it suddenly started missing bad at about half throttle then progressivly got worse. Took it back to the ramp and noticed some damge to some of the stator wires next to the flywheel. Took the flywheel off today and was not happy to see that all 4 of the stator bolts were completely loose again. The stator, to say the least, was in real bad shape.

What really conserned me was that all four bolts were damaged- they were practically threadless, they were smooth. What I saw next conserned me more. The stator sets on a stator support which the trigger sets underneith. The 4 bolts run from the stator, then through the stator support, then into the Upper End Cap. The Upper End Cap holes where the stator bolts were supposed to be screwed into were bored out. Where the normal hole would be this size (o). The holes were not bigger in diameter(O) but instead conected in length(oo, imiagine these as one) like this side by side, in all four. It looked as if you could now fit two bolts in there side by side. It was as if vibration with the flywheel spinning circulating caused this damage.
I deffinately did not like the looks of it. There is now no way to put new bolts in to secure a new stator to the upper end cap.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????? How do I go about fixing this problem?

I think that I need to find a used upper end cap, new stator bolts, possibly a different stator support, and obviously a new stator. Does this sound about right????? The flywheel is not damaged.

Sorry for all the reading. Hope this makes sence.

Thanks
All coments appreciated

kellyisu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 79 40hp merc, stator came loose"again"- did damage- need help

Does anyone know where I might have a chance of getting a USED upper end cap and or stator support for this particular motor? Already checked ebay.

1979/40hp/2 stroke/electric start/ Mercury

Thanks

kellyisu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anyone have any thought on this?
Thanks

kellyisu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So, I did find a used upper end cap for $40 somewhere

kellyisu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I feel like I'm talkin to myself on this one:)

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them????

kingsnakejr

Seaman

Kellsy.
Would it be possible to fill in the holes with JB weld and drill and retap?
I did this on a thermostat bolt hole on my van and it worked like a charm. Just a thought.

kellyisu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kingsnakejr

Thanks for mentioning that- my neighbor said the same thing. He is about 30 years older than me (very knowlegeable) and mentioned the same thing, but was unsure how that would work. He talked about how he did that with other parts many years ago. Although I think it would better to spend $40 on the used upper end cap to have it done right. It already cost me a new stator and I don't want to have to spend the money for another one if it didn't work this time. I am a 30 year old professional grad student with not much money to my name. I love this site and am on it every day. Most people wouldn't think a guy like me with my profession was knowlegable about boat motors but I am one of the exceptions. Huge outdoorsmans an very good hands on man when it comes to fixing things. I am in Chiropractic school student. I thought about JB and retapping it myself but I did find the upper end cap cheap and I think I am going to go that route. Thanks bud

Kelly

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The used cap is the right way to fix this problem but the other mentioned would also work. Better to do it as best you can and possible avoid the expense of a third new stator.;)

kellyisu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Agreed- Thanks TommyA

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

kellyisu, where are in in chiropractic school at?