How do you check timing on 1989 Suzuki 85Dt

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 85DT suzuki thta runs sluggish. How do you check the timing? Any other ideas on what might be wrong? Good compression, good fuel, new plugs, high jets just cleaned, new 13.5 x 19 prop and pumped up bulb and made no difference. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do you check timing on 1989 Suzuki 85Dt

Get a factory service manual.Not a clymer.Not a seloc.'Nuff said.:rolleyes:

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I have one and have read what it's said but I have found it's never a bad idea to hear opinions outside the manual. I appreciate your response.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

yep, u need to re-sync it after cleaning carbs

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I need an opinion. After I adjust everything according to the manual is this a good way to fine tune the high jets on the carbs? I was thinking about backing the boat into the water still hooked to the trailer and run it at about 2500-3000 rpms then adjust the carbs to the highest rpms per carb then start all over again until I think I've reached the highest rpms I can. Is this a good method? Thanks for your responses.

Last edited:

JUSTINTIME

Captain

to adjust high
u need to do WOT not 2500

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can wot on the trailer be ok? Is there a better way besides bouncing around on the lake? Thanks for your advice.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I need an opinion. After I adjust everything according to the manual is this a good way to fine tune the high jets on the carbs? I was thinking about backing the boat into the water still hooked to the trailer and run it at about 2500-3000 rpms then adjust the carbs to the highest rpms per carb then start all over again until I think I've reached the highest rpms I can. Is this a good method? Thanks for your responses.

You can't adjust the high speed jets, they are fixed in size. The only thing that you can adjust is the carb synchronization and the low speed air/idle jets and the throttle position sensor.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks. I have the manual and will take your advice.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I finally got a chance to work on this. I cleaned the carbs and adjusted the low jets to spec. I looked everywhere for a throttle position sensor and can not find it. according to the manual I don't have one for the 88 model. I looked anyway just to make sure it wasn't a 89 as I originally thought but all indications show it's a 88 without the sensor. Is there anything else I need to adjust to sychronize the carbs? Thanks.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I should also mention that a 13.5x19 was way too much prop for my 16' center console and my DT-85. The boat wouldn't plane unless I walked around and stood in front of the CC. I had to drop down 2 pitches to a 15P. now I get 5400 rpm @WOT and about 34 mph.How big is your boat?? What's it made out of (aluminum, wood, fiberglass) ???

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

We can only refer you back to the manual where it tells you how to perform a link&sync operation. This is not just a carb synchronization procedure. This process adjusts carb, throttle, and timing advance linkages so they work in unison. The process must be performed in the exact sequence. The last thing you do is adjust the idle mixture and idle speed. These processes are far too detailed to go into here -- besides, you have the manual. Follow it.

James R

Commander

Your 1989 motor should have a throttle position sensor. Look at the port side of the #2 carb. That is where you should find it. The timing is taken care of by adjustment of the sensor and the electronic controls. If the sensor is slightly off or not working, it can affect the performance.