The arrogance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Not to start a rant, but it amazes me how many people are still driving around in gas guzzling SUV's and trucks for commuting. I was just reading another thread about someone who wanted to improve their millage on a Yukon. How about parking the damn thing? Don't get me wrong, I also own a truck but I only use it for towing and hauling stuff. Other than that I bought a Nissan Sentra last year and I love it, it get's 35 mpg. Nothing irritates me more than seeing some soccer Mom tooling around in some huge SUV that doesn't even have a hitch on it, just so she can have the flip down DVD player and heated leather seats. Ok...I feel better now :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: The arrogance...

I agree but here is some outside the box thinking....

IF the suv is paid for....
and they drive 12,000 miles per year and get an average of 16 mpg
750 gallons of gas @ $4/gallon=$3000 divided by 12 = $250/month in gas exspense for a vehicle that is paid for. Really not too bad about $57/week.

IF they are in a lease then they are just plain old stuck with the gas and the payment :(

Some of these people just do not have a choice.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...Don't get me wrong, I also own a truck but I only use it for towing and hauling stuff...

...Nothing irritates me more than seeing some soccer Mom tooling around in some huge SUV...

You don't know everybody's situation-- you admit you own a truck yourself. Is the soccer mom's SUV filled with kids from a soccer game? Maybe the rest of the time she drives a Sentra or a hybrid around.

I'm an example of what Bob_Vt was saying-- I own a '99 Jeep Cherokee I bought back when gas was cheaper than bottled water. It's long paid for.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind paying less for gas, as well as doing my part for the environment, but I can't afford a new (or even used) high mpg car right now. And I love the usefulness of my Jeep. I don't take it off road as much as I used to, but I use it for towing the boat and I haul stuff in it all the time. Maybe I'll get a smaller car for daily commutes eventually, but I'll keep that Jeep until it completely falls apart.

Tyme2fish

Commander

What Bob VT said. Yeh, I know my F-150 Crew Cab doesn't get the best mileage, but it's paid for and I use it to haul my boat. The wife can't drive my 5-Speed Ranger so yes, you'll see her going to get groceries in the F-150.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

When the do gooders and gubment meddlers stop messing with the emissions standards and cafe standards all based on junk science, the manufacturers will be able to provide vehicles like they did 20 years ago.

Back then, we had cars that got 40+ mpg for under $7,000, and trucks that got almost 25.

Till then, I'm not wasting $25,000 to buy a vehicle, so I can save $800 a year in fuel. I'd still need a truck to tow the boat.

I'm surprised you aren't complaining that people still own boats.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The arrogance that some people think they should tell me how to spend my money and live my life.

Geo2008

Banned

When the do gooders and gubment meddlers stop messing with the emissions standards and cafe standards all based on junk science, the manufacturers will be able to provide vehicles like they did 20 years ago.

Back then, we had cars that got 40+ mpg for under $7,000, and trucks that got almost 25.

Till then, I'm not wasting $25,000 to buy a vehicle, so I can save $800 a year in fuel. I'd still need a truck to tow the boat.

I'm surprised you aren't complaining that people still own boats.

I drive a Hummer H3 and it gets the same gas mileage as my two Ford Rangers...17mpg on average.

tommays

Admiral

I think we should all take out loans we cant afford and buy Toyotas :rolleyes:

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

See the word "commuting" up there guys?

Sure everyone's economic situation is different, but come on. Every travel to another country and see what kind of vehicles the rest of the world is driving? Maybe because gas cost twice as much everywhere else in the world?

Of course my boat gets horrible millege, and I'm not complaining, but I don't drive it to work either.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think we should all take out loans we cant afford and buy Toyotas :rolleyes:

I'm in the Detroit area, and the company I work for is partly dependent on the (former) big 3, so please use those loans you can't afford to buy Ford Focuses or GM Aveos :D

CATransplant

Admiral

Oddly, someone else driving their car on the freeway just seems like something that really isn't my business. If they have a vehicle and drive it, what does it matter to me what their gas mileage is? It's their money.

There are plenty of things to stress about, but what kind of car someone who's not me just doesn't seem to be one. How they're driving is of more concern, and I am bothered by people jabbering on their cell phones while they apply makeup or shave as they drive. That endangers me. The type of car or truck they drive doesn't.

What seems arrogant to me is trying to decide for others what they should drive. I promise not to criticize your choice of vehicle, if you promise to do the same for me. How's that?

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Well, you are certainly entitiled to your oppinion and I can respect that. However I don't subscribe to the "can't see it from my house" point of view. I guess my whole point here is that if their is a more economical, less wastful alternative available, it makes sense to utilize it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is nice you can afford to have a vehicle that just sits, till you are ready to tow the boat. some of us live and work in areas that has no or poor mass transit. some of us, our jobs require that we have the larger vehicles, to transport product. and we can afford the luxury, and having a vehicle stay at the job, and a vehicle to commute. some of us have large families, and need the larger vehicle. ok, we can give some kids away.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, you are certainly entitiled to your oppinion and I can respect that. However I don't subscribe to the "can't see it from my house" point of view. I guess my whole point here is that if their is a more economical, less wastful alternative available, it makes sense to utilize it.

Well, that's great. You should buy the vehicle that meets your needs and desires, then drive it. You should let me do the same. I don't have a real gas-eating vehicle, just a mid-sized SUV I use on long trips and to pull my boat. It's also the second car when both my wife and I need to go in different directions.

The other car is a 1991 Volvo 740 wagon. Its mileage is OK, if not terrific, but no energy has been expended in building it since it was made.

My point is that, if you wish to economize on fuel, that is your choice. Right now, both of my vehicles are fully paid for, and I have no desire to take on new debt at the moment, nor do I have cash I wish to spend on a new vehicle.

So, when you pass me on the freeway in my SUV, please feel free to put a smug look on your face. I'll do the same when you cruise by in your big gas-eating boat...from my boat, which you may see below. It will use, roughly, 12 gallons of gasoline for the entire season.

Look to yourself, not at others. That's my advice.

I think people should be able to buy anything they want to drive. However there does need to be some type of price incentive in place to reward those who dont DEMAND an unlimited amount. Maybe a form of rationing that will let people buy so much at a controled price and those that want and demand more pay extra per gallon. Afterall we are in an energy crisis and our economic security for the entire nation is at stake. note this isnt a polictical thing but an economic one.We need to control those who want to hoard it also. I recall when Bob Denver wanted to put in a service station type of gasoline tank in the ground at his house. They wouldnt ok the permit.If gas goes to 10 bucks a gallon will we say to those that cant afford it that its their own fault for not having the money?

beilwing

Seaman Apprentice

The arrogance that some people think they should tell me how to spend my money and live my life.

I gotta agree with this. I like my mountaineer, I liked the explorer I had before it. And I don't have kids, no reason for a suv except for I like it. I pay for the gas we put in it, haven't asked you for help yet, so I dont see where it is any of your concern what I choose to drive. During the week though I drive our civic and my better half gets the mounty, she likes it more then I doand works closer to home.

I understand there are thing in life that are going to get to you, but if you're going to let little stuff like this upset you, you're going to spend to much time in life mad. Just shrug it off and smile because your sentra saves you some gas money.
Just my .02, that with about $4.50 will get you a gallon of gas.:)

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, you are right, I think I see your point. Tomorrow I will sell my car, take my truck to the gas station and fill it up (about $150) and drive it to work because it is payed for. It is my right to do that damn it and don't tell me what I can drive and how much I should spend.

That about cover it guys?

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is "a more economical, less wastful alternative available" to your Nissan Sentra too... Its called a bicycle.. or roller skates... or walking...
I bet the folks on the bicycling forums are talking about the arrogant guy in the nissan and his wasteful lifestyle....

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, you are right, I think I see your point. Tomorrow I will sell my car, take my truck to the gas station and fill it up (about $150) and drive it to work because it is payed for. It is my right to do that damn it and don't tell me what I can drive and how much I should spend.

That about cover it guys?

Yep... thats the point.. You and me and everyone else can do whatever we feel like is best for us, and should be able to w/o the prius drivers looking their nose at us..

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

How can you take a post about me making a consious effort to save a little money commuting to work and twist it into this? I'm not pushing for legislation demanding the end of all fun, excitment, sex, drugs and rock and roll.

I'm also purchasing a pellet stove for my house, even though I have the financial means to pay more for natural gas. God forbid we sacrifice a little comfort and work just a teeeeeny bit more. Guess that makes me a tree hugger....

Status
Not open for further replies.