Adding a tilt button at the motor

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
Is there a simple way to add a button to tilt the motor at the motor? My trim/tilt on the helm works fine but I watch my buddy secure his boat (near new Suzuki) and I like the ability to tilt the motor to set it on the transom saver, all at the back of the boat.

I realize this is more of a "nice to have", but has anyone done this?

Motor is an 1981 115 Evinrude

ftltony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Adding a tilt button at the motor

I did this to my 60hp Johnson and its really simple.

Buy the switch from West marine or wherever you get your boat goodies. You drill a hole for the switch, slide the wires and the switch into place, solder in and heat shrink the appropriate connections and you are done. It takes all of a half hour once you get started.

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can use a simple marine grade toggle switch very very easy to do!!!

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to bump an old thread, but for those that have done this, did you wire it up in the tilt/trim box, or is there another place to connect the wires to?

I'm looking at my wiring diagram and had the box open. I figure one side connects to the red/white wire and the other side to the green, plus a ground connection. I'm going to put the switch just at the back of the boat (not on the motor) where I can reach it from outside. I'm thinking up high on the side of the splashwell.

Gave a quick attempt at added the wire inside the box, but the screws were in really tight and I needed to get fishing so I gave up for a bit.

My main problem is that I have to unbutton a window to reach in to the throttle, and now I can't get it buttoned back up (my windows are really tight to put on).

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

on my 89 evinrude 140 there is a factory up down button
this is mounted on the right side of the lower engine cover
a simple plug in wire harness
it would be easy to retro one of these switches to your engine
it uses the three wire setup that is the same as you descibe
youi should be able to pick one up at low cost and splice it into your existing
harness inside the engine cover
then mount it thru the lower cover for the factory look

fluke88

Seaman Apprentice

did it on a older johnson 115 myself, piece of cake, almost looked
like factory, go to it!!!!!!!!!!!

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an '84 Johnson 115...I've got 5 wires coming from my relay box, red w/wht, black, white and 2 grn w/ wht. How do I wire the switch? I assume red and the 2 grns will do both up and down, where do the black and white wires connect to?

Thanks,

Tom Smith

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

To tomynoks: Wire the auxiliary switch as circled in the thumbnail.

You should have black and black and tan wire; the tan may have faded.

Attachments

• 84 2 wireT&T.JPG
    84 2 wireT&T.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 0

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

ezeke,

I have a connector coming out of the relay box that should go to the switch, but there are 5 wires, black, red w/ wht, white and two green w/ wht. There's no black and tan. I appreciate the help.... Please check my other post as well:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286572

Thanks,

Tom

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

ezeke,

The plug shown in the lower left of your diagram is EXACTLY what I have. It shows, grn, red and blue for the bottom the thre, so my blue is faded and looks grn. The top wires look like tan/white and blk/tan. I understand that the gen, red and blue wires go to the switch, but where do I connect the blk/tan and tan/wht wires if at all?

I am least confident with electrical.... looking at the diagram again, where's the power coming from? Just so you know, I am not adding another switch, I just put this motor on and bought controls without tilt/trim, so I'm trying to wire the TT into my switch panel with off-on-off momentary switch.

Thanks again,

Tom

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The amphenol with the five wires is the harness running to the helm (remote). The red, green and blue wires with white stripes are for the switch on the remote and the other two wires are for the trim gauge.

You just need three additional wires spliced to the red/white, green/white and blue/white to add an additional switch at the engine.

The thread you jumped is about adding a second switch; if that is not what you are doing, you should start a new thread.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you very much! I did start a new thread first, but didn't get any quick responses. I posted a link to it for you in one of my last posts. I don't have a trim gauge, so if I connect the blue, green and red to a switch it should work, right? I just want to be sure before I connect anything to the battery.

Thanks again,

Tom Smith

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The battery should already be connected to the relays V1 and V2 for the voltage to drive the trim motor.

The switch itself uses very little power, just enough to trip the relays which switches polarity. It uses fused +12V from V3.

When you trip the switch up you connect green/white to red/white to activate V4.

When you trip the switch down you connect blue/white to red/white to activate V6.

The relay panel should already be grounded to the engine block.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I think I understand all that. One question I have is; where is the +12v power coming from? Is the red wire @ C1 supplying power to the relay or away from it? I ask because I hooked up the switch today using an old TT harness that has negative and positive leads hooked directly to the battery or through the keyed switch for power. I thought the red wire coming off the relay and connecting to the TT switch supplied power, but without the positive wire hooked to the battery, I have no power. When I tried the switch, everything works, but I'm a little confused. I don't mean to a pain-in-the-***, just want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks,

Tom

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

See the diagram below:

You can also take power from V2 to V3 rather than from the fused wire off the solenoid. You would need to have a 3 amp fuse and holder in the line.

Attachments

• 84 2 wireT&T Voltage.JPG
    84 2 wireT&T Voltage.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm taking power from the red wire "to helm", but there doesn't seem to be power there. I have not touched the relay box at all. I'm just trying to hook up the red, grn and blue wires that go "to helm" to a switch.

I do appreciate the help. I ahve the battery cables hooked up and there should be power at that red wire, right?

Thanks,

Tom

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

All of the wiring in the diagram is at the engine.

I can't see what you have from here.

You should be able to follow the wiring from the main post on the starter solenoid to the relays without a problem. If you try to run the tilt motor with the switch, you will burn something up, guaranteed; the switch runs the relays, not the motor.

Be sure that the negative battery cable is grounded to the engine block after you finish your wiring. Also be sure that the fuse in the fuse holder is good.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yep ezeke is right thats why it has relays.............the switch has very little voltage going through it. the relays use low voltage to contact the high voltage. same concept as you solenoid on the starter.....

hooking the motor straight to a couple of switches will eat wires and switches.