55 Envirude 15 HP Cooling Questions

55EvinrudeFan

Recruit
May be a silly question, but I purchased a 55 Evinrude 15HP a couple years back and haven't had time to work on it until this past winter. It ran, be it rough when I got it, I did a complete tune up and fired it up this past weekend. What I can't remember is where the water is suppose to exit from the water pump. My 3 hp has a plate with holes on the front side of the shaft housing. Where should I be looking on the 15HP? I fired it up, didn't see water and shut it down. I pulled the lower unit with the intent to replace the impeller and found it good shape. Although it may need some seals replaced as it was covered in lower unit lube.
Thanks for the help...
Kevan

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 55 Envirude 15 HP Cooling Questions

Howdy Kevan,
YOur '55 15hp has an exhaust relief in the middle of the back of the mid-section that should blow water out on idle. Make sure when you try it in a barrel that the water level is about 3 or 4 inches below that exhaust relief or it may not prime the pump and therefore not flow water.
Here's a pic of a '57 18hp with a red arrow where the water should exit. Yours should be the same spot.
Later,
JBJ

Attachments

• 18 johnson in barrel with arrow for water exit.JPG
    18 johnson in barrel with arrow for water exit.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 0

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If the fingers of your impeller remain bent when you remove it, time for a new one. Ones that have taken a "set" are not to be trusted, unless you like to paddle.

wbeaton

Commander

Anytime you remove the impeller you should replace it. Its only $15-20.

jbjennings

Captain

Consider getting a BRP impeller---a much better product than sierra. Even a cheapy like me has been "converted".:)
JBJ

55EvinrudeFan

Recruit

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the quick response. It is greatly appreciated! I thought that was the spot. I have an impeller and was going to replace it anyways, I was just stumped as to why I wasn't seeing any water come out and assumed the impellor was rotted away. I'm planning on picking up a lower unit seal kit as well while I'm 1/3 of the way there.
I found that when I put my Grandfather's 3 HP 55 Evin back together about 5 years ago. It sat in my Dad's basement torn apart for over 30+ years. Head gasket, complete tune up and an impellor and she's been running every year since.
Thanks again!
Kevan