No ID tag on mounting bracket - any tricks to determine year and hp?

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I've just bought a boat with an Evinrude outboard. The seller said it's a 175 but he's not sure. I have looked high and low for some sort of an ID tag but have found nothing - not even on the freeze plugs. It originally had a VRO system so according to my manual it has to be 1984 or newer. I've tried to find some clues by using the wiring diagram in the book but haven't been able to figure anything out. Does anyone have any "tricks" in determing what the year and hp are? Thanks in advance for your time.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: No ID tag on mounting bracket any tricks to determine year and hp?

Should be able to figure it out. What's the number on the "freeze" plug?

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: No ID tag on mounting bracket - any tricks to determine year and hp?

Hi Dhadley,

The only number I could find on the "freeze" (is there a proper name?) plug started with a B. I couldn't find any relevance to this type of numbering system in my manual so unfortunately I didn't write it down and I'm at work now and can't get to it. Can you point me in a direction so when I get home this evening I can try and research it? Thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If it's a 7 digit number it may be a serieal number which a BRP dealer can call in and fid out all sorts of info. If the "B" just happened to really be a "R" it might be something like RPH followed by 6 numbers. That will be a replacement powerhead. The 6 numbers are the actual part number of the powerhead.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

If you have a number on your freeze plug, a dealer can look it up and give you the year etc. But, according to what I have read here, there is no way for the general public to make sense out of it. It would be your serial number btw.

You're better off than I am as not only is my tag missing, but the number on the plug has been erased. Guessing somewhere in the life of this motor it went for a walk.

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice

I just called a buddy of mine who was helping me last night. He confirmed that the first letter on the freeze plug is an R followed by a series of numbers. Thank you very much for your help. I will write these numbers down and get with a dealer to see if they can help.

This is my first time using the forum. What an incredible tool. Thank you all again.

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice

If you have a number on your freeze plug, a dealer can look it up and give you the year etc. But, according to what I have read here, there is no way for the general public to make sense out of it. It would be your serial number btw.

You're better off than I am as not only is my tag missing, but the number on the plug has been erased. Guessing somewhere in the life of this motor it went for a walk.

I was beginning to wonder if this motor has gone on a walk about sometime in it's life as well. I sure hope that is not the case. Thanks for your reply. Good luck determining the year of your motor.

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice

Should be able to figure it out. What's the number on the "freeze" plug?

On the Port side, the number is R8529016. On the Starboard side the number is 397080.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The 7 digit R number may be a serial number. Ask a dealer to run it for you.

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice

I've called around to a few BRP dealers and they have been unable to find anything on the numbers I gave them. It looks as though this is a dead end.

Any other possibilities?

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice

ezeke,

thank you for providing me with the link to the BRP website. I have searched it quite a bit but still have not been able to find anything concrete as to what year and hp this motor is. I apologize for not replying sooner but I wanted to be able to provide some pictures as suggested and I wasn't able to do that until now.

I hope these pictures help in determining what hp and year this engine is. I am going to need to do some work on it soon as it has starting running a bit rough. Any additional help anyone can give me is much appreciated.

I have some additional pics if needed.

Attachments

• DSCN1342.JPG
    DSCN1342.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1335.JPG
    DSCN1335.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1338.JPG
    DSCN1338.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1341.JPG
    DSCN1341.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1346.JPG
    DSCN1346.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 2

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Well, it's a V6 crssflow with the 35 amp system. Is the exhaust plate flat or does it have a hump in it?

The gearcase has an aftermarket nose cone, lo water pick up. Kinda looks like a kit that's for a Merc.

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice

Dhadley,

Thanks for the information!!! I finally feel like maybe I'm getting somewhere. I know this will sound stupid but where is the exhaust plate? I will look as soon as I get home to see if it is flat or if it has a hump in it. What will it tell us?

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that tells you it's a crossflow with a 35 amp system? As I mentioned, I'm new to the outboard world and want to learn all that I can.

What are your thoughts on the low water pick up? Good, bad, or indifferent? Obviously, I have to be extra careful in shallow water so to not pack the holes full of mud. Also, it makes it a bit of a pain to run at home because I can't just hook up the hose I have to get a big tub.

Thanks again. I will get back to you asap with info on the exhaust plate.

I'm not sure if these will be of any additional help or not but here are some more pics I took.

Attachments

• DSCN1352.JPG
    DSCN1352.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1351.JPG
    DSCN1351.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1348.JPG
    DSCN1348.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1340.JPG
    DSCN1340.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1336.JPG
    DSCN1336.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

He can tell it's a crossflow from the type of carbs on it, the vented flywheel is the tipoff to the 35 amp alternator. Crossflows use 3 double carbs, whereas loopers use 6 single carbs. Thats about where my experience runs out, Dhadley is really good at this, he should be able to narrow it down for you.

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice

After looking through my manual, I believe the attached picture shows the exhaust plate. It appears to have a hump in it.

Attachments

• exhaust plate.JPG
    exhaust plate.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1

guy74

The pictures of a 175hp motor in my 1989 service manual looks just like your motor. We know its a crossflow, V6, and has the bubbleback exaust plate, so that indicates 175hp. As far as the year, 1985-1990? There are not many changes over those years on that motor, hard to tell one year from another. I have a factory service manual that should cover your motor, if you need any info out of it send me a PM.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

A big FWIW attached to the following.

I had an 80s vintage V6 Johnson that had several things in common with the photos: the air intake, fly wheel, starter and bubbleback looked the same (in my memory). My engine had a 175 "VRO" cowling on it, a VRO fuel pump with the oil intake plugged (i.e. premix), and the identification plate on the mounting braket was gone. We thought it was a mid-80s 175 with the VRO disconnected. The mechanic I used had problems troubleshooting and ordering parts though because there were inconsistencies. We knew it was a remanufactured unit, but assumed that it was a remanufactured 175. When he found the model number on the block (I believe it was cast) which indicated a 1982 or 19833 235 HP a lot of questions were answered, but not all. VRO was not actually offered then so that was a major "aha!". The lower unit was not from the same year as the powerhead and there were some irritating linkage issues when it had to be dropped. We figured out that aside from the fuel pump, L/U and cowling, there were other parts that weren't consistent with what we thought the engine was or what it actually was, notably some of the ignition parts. It was a frankenstein. I got quite a bit of good service out of the engine, but eventually got tired of the goat-rope that was involved in getting someone to work on it and to troubleshoot, etc. I now have a 1990 200 hp that is ALL ORIGINAL with low hours, great condition.

Anyway, I just mention this to you because your engine may or may not have originally been a VRO -therefore it is definitely uncertain that it is post-1984. The lower unit and other parts may or may not be consistent with the powerhead.

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice

dajohnson53,
You don't live in AZ do you? I think I have your old motor. Ha Ha!!

guy74

alittle more info: Carbs are 1986 or newer, cover looks to be off a 1984 Johnson 235hp motor (or similar year, the vents on the front are not found on Evinrude motors, at least not in the parts breakdowns). But everything on the motor is consistent with a 1986-1988 175hp, just as Dhadley had said. The carbs earlier than 1986 are the older style without the cover plate on the top like your's, the 1989 and later uses a single large powerpack instead of 2 3 cylinder powerpacks your motor has. That should get you close enough to get most parts you will need.