1987 60 hp ob johnson motor, serial R7438825 model J60ELCUC

jasroost

Cadet
I took my oil pump off because it wasn't working and added oil to the gas. The boat ran good the first day, then the second it wouldnt start. I think I put twice as much oil in it so I diluted it and it started running with the ears on. The gasket for the carb is ripped and I took it off. Now it will start but not stay running, could a new gasket fix my problem or not. I can't get into a mechanic for 2 weeks and want to try simple things on my own. I changed the spark plugs. Does using gas with ethanol ruin a motor? I am a girl that loves boating and my husband does'nt so I am on my own. Any simple things I could try would be appreciated. Jean

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1987 60 hp ob johnson motor, serial R7438825 model J60ELCUC

The worst too much oil would do is cause the motor to smoke. I'd be very cautious about adding more gas to the already mixed gas.

Is the gasket you're talking about for the silencer? If so, not too important.

Try activating the choke/primer to see if running improves or alternatively, squeezing the primer bulb. If either of those actions help, you've got a fuel delivery problem.

If your able, check the compression and let us know what you find.

There are also some ignition system checks, but that may be beyond your ability at this point.

Ethanol in fuel won't hurt the motor, but is hygroscopic (acquires water from the air). It also phase separates into an ethanol layer (bottom) and gas (top). The tank fuel pickup is in the tank bottom, so guess what? Water can get sucked toward the motor (not good). Sometimes it's necessary to dump the gas in the tank (put it in your truck or car) and make sure the tank is free of all water. Also, check any water separating filters for water.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

jean, you probably jarred some crud loose, and it has gotten into the carbs.

jasroost

Cadet

He thanks for trying to help, If I pumb the bulb and see fuel go through the filter, does that rule out fuel delivery problem? Does it matter if the gas has too little oil. Should I try adding more oil and then try to start it? How do you check the compression. I know I sound dumb, but I would rather tinker with my boat then clean my house. It acts like it is trying to start but sounds like it either is'nt getting the gas or spark it needs. Jean

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

seeing gas in the filter does not rule out fuel delivery. are your carbs running over, when you pump the bulb. does the bulb get hard? i'd rather tinker with the boat than clean house also.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

He thanks for trying to help, If I pumb the bulb and see fuel go through the filter, does that rule out fuel delivery problem? Does it matter if the gas has too little oil. Should I try adding more oil and then try to start it? How do you check the compression. I know I sound dumb, but I would rather tinker with my boat then clean my house. It acts like it is trying to start but sounds like it either isn't getting the gas or spark it needs. Jean

Jean , for the tests, I assumed the boat was running in the water at speed, not standing in an unrunning condition. The idea was to see if engine performance improved or had no change due to the suggested actions.

It does matter if the gas has too little oil; that's the only way 2 stroke motors get the parts lubed. Adding more oil, if it's not way short, won't help start it.

You might be ahead taking it to a shop to get it fixed this time and getting an OEM shop manual if you're serious about learning to fix the motor.

jasroost

Cadet

I hooked up a compression tester and got about 90 on all 3 cylinders, if I did it right.I took spark plug out one at a time and tested by turning the key and choking it. It won,t even turn over. Jean

jasroost

Cadet

when I took the cover to the carburator off, the botton had about 1/2 cup of gas, and it is oil colored. I tried spraying starter fluid in carbs but nothing happened, could it help if I had someone spray starter fluid in carbs while I was trying to start it and have someone with a fire extinguisher. I can't find a mechanic for at least 2-3weeks. Do new spark plugs have to be adjusted? Jean

Last edited:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Forget the starter fluid .. very bad for the motor.

Sounds like carbs may need rebuilding.

Tests were ONLY for a motor already running ... not to get it started.

Compression normally checked with plugs all out, but your numbers are OK.

Spark plugs do have to be adjusted.

Do yourself a favor, and get a marine mechanic to check the motor out.

jasroost

Cadet

I know I am talking to myself, but I put old sparkplugs in my motor and now I got my motor running, not great, it still kills and shakes a little bit, but it started again. What's up with that. Jean

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You may have had the motor seriously flooded and time may have cured that issue.

jasroost

Cadet

hey Jim, thanks for your advise. I am sorry to say I already put starter fluid in the carb and then replaced my new spark plugs with the old ones and now it is running. I just started it again with the ears on and it started right up. I am going to take it out today and see what happens. If there are any retired boat mechanics in Omaha NE that would like to look at it for me at a reasonable price feel free to reply to this post. I am currently on a 2-3 week waiting list. Summers going too fast to wait that long. Thanks Jean