115hp evinrude no reverse

Was out in the lake this weekend and went to dock the boat and had no reverse . the shifter is moving in to the reverse area. What could be causing the problem . Another thing i found was out of the water when i put it in to reverse the prop spins like it is in neutral. what could be the cause and is it expensive to fix??

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 115hp evinrude no reverse

I would disconnect the shift cable from the motor and see if you can shift into reverse by hand. If so you may need a new cable which are cheap. If it will not go into reverse by hand it could be a lower unit problem. Not cheap.
You may need to turn the prop by hand to get it to engage if the engine is not running.

Spacesin

Cadet

adjust your linkage ... i lost forward gears but had reverse and it was just that quick .. very happy to say adjusted the linkage through the exhoust panel and it is fine

I have tried to shift it in to reverse and it moves like it did before. when I have it in reverse and spin the prop I have a clicking sound. I am sure the motor has not had the easiest life it is a 1977 115 hp

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remove the shifter cable at the engine, and shift manually at the motor. sounds like a cable, forward is a pulling motion on the cable, reverse is a pushing motion, if the cable is going bad, it cannot push the motor all the way into reverse.