Antifreeze in cylinder

Modemagic

Seaman
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but when troubleshooting my no start condition. I noticed that I had a bit of antifreeze dripping from the exhaust bellows on the outdrive. That seemed really wierd to me, so I started pulling spark plugs. On the number two cylinder, (going from bow to transom) When I would crank the motor testing to verify spark, I noticed that some coolant shot out of the spark plug hole.

Typically from what I know about cars, is that it's either head gasket time, or new motor time. Is this correct, or am I jumping to conclusions?

At this point I have not removed the valve cover or head, making sure that my suspicions are correct.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Antifreeze in cylinder

would be nice to know what your working on

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Probably just a manifold gone bad.You need to pressure test the heat exchanger system to see if it leaks.Jerry

Modemagic

Seaman

Probably just a manifold gone bad.You need to pressure test the heat exchanger system to see if it leaks.Jerry

Jerry, once again you come to my rescue. I know the cooling system leaks as of right now. Filled up with antifreeze coolant mixture, worked on starting and such. After cranking and working on it for awhile, noticed the antifreeze leaking from the exhaust bellows. Coolant is definitely leaving the system somehow. Is it possible to test the manifold? Is it repairable?

Modemagic

Seaman

After doing more research into my issue I went out to the boat and began to do some more research. I pulled the dipstick and didn't get the milkshake that I thought I would.

IM000819.JPG

This motor hasn't ran yet this year, but if the head gasket were bad, the motor would have had to be running and water would be in the oil, at least that's my line of thinking.

I did pull the exhaust manifold and don't see where the coolant even comes through there. I'm a dope! I'm guessing he meant the intake manifold. :(

Modemagic

Seaman

I did a compression test on all four cylinders and did it twice just to confirm all readings. Compression test is as follows:

CYL 1 = 85 PSI
CYL 2 = 0 PSI (needle did move around though)
CYL 3 = 30 PSI
CYL 4 = 60 PSI

Again there is still no antifreeze in the oil. Is this or could this still be related to the intake manifold? I did notice when I loosened up the oil cooler bolt on top, that a bit of antifreeze dripped out of the bottom of it.

How do I pressure test the heat exchanger system?

Modemagic

Seaman

Could it be possible that the gasket went bad between the water jackets and the cylinder causing this issue? Would the manifold cause no compression on the one cylinder and the others to be low?

Maclin

Admiral

A bad head gasket will usually still show some compression. And if it is compromised between adjacent cylinders those will show approximately the same numbers, lower than the other good cylinders but still some compression and not zero.

It takes open valves or big holes in pistons to get a zero compression reading. Usually.