9.8HP Merc oil change

SBellew

Cadet
I just got my first boat. Bought it from my uncle and it has a Merc 9.8 on it. Does this take oil or just the oil in the gas mix?

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

o/b tech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 9.8HP Merc oil change

What you have bought is a two stroke and requires a 50/1 fuel to oil pre-mix in the gas tank for lubrication. Any retailer that sells motor oil will probably sell a TCW-3, 2-stroke oil for the marine environment. Nice looking unit.

Hope the info helps.

SBellew

Cadet

What you have bought is a two stroke and requires a 50/1 fuel to oil pre-mix in the gas tank for lubrication. Any retailer that sells motor oil will probably sell a TCW-3, 2-stroke oil for the marine environment. Nice looking unit.

Hope the info helps.

Great, so the lower part of the motor does not require any oil?

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, the lower unit requires a marine grade gear oil specifically for the lower unit.

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unless you know it has been done, I would drain the oil from the lower unit and put new stuff in -- it's easy to do, although it's a bit messy (at least when i do it :redface:). Then you're ready to roll.

SBellew

Cadet

Sweet, I will look at the motor today while I am checking trailer lights, trolling motor and replacing a couple pieces of wood.

SBellew

Cadet

Sweet, I will look at the motor today while I am checking trailer lights, trolling motor and replacing a couple pieces of wood.

I looked at the engine today and could not determine where to change/flush the oil in the lower part. All I saw was a screw labeled 'FLUSH'. My serial is 5638605. From the charts I looked at, the 9.8HP 110 only goes to 520xxxx before jumping up to702xxxx. Could that be the wrong cover? If so, what is my engine? Cannot find the serial anywhere.

IMG_2021.JPG

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

emckelvy

Commander

The "flush" screw is for flushing water thru the powerhead with the motor not running. Unless used regularly, usually will be stuck and difficult to remove. So don't mess with that one. It's better to flush the entire motor in a barrel anyway.

Your drain and vent plugs for gearcase oil are way down there, on the gearcase itself. In fact, in the 2nd picture you can see the vent screw/plug, just above your hydrofoil unit. The drain is farther down on the rounded part (aka "bullet") of the gearcase.

Here's a recent thread that you could consider "Gearcase 101". It'll run you thru the very basics of doing this simple but Very Important task:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=259698

HTH & enjoy your new rig!...........ed