1967 60hp evinrude cooling

kamp

Recruit
60 hp 1967 evinrude. a year agoe pulled motor to replace gearshift bell crank on exhaust housing. put the motor back together, including new water pump, and now have cooling problems. Engine runs hot. Have removed thermostat and engine still runs hot. I am getting water thru exhaust port, with thermostat removed, but I don't believe this proves good flow. any suggestions??????? could i have mounted copper tubes to wrong outlet holes in end cover and would this cause a problem?????any way to check without repulling engine?????
No overheat alarm on this motor, but when I can boil water on the head I shut down assuming its too hot.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 60hp evinrude cooling

The "port" water tube is the "inlet" tube and is the one that should be inserted into the water pump grommet.

Drop the lower unit and inspect. It should be easy to determine which tube is the port tube and where it is leading to the water pump or not.

Check the water pump itself to make sure that the impeller key is where it belongs.

Water boils on the powerhead? Retorque those head bolts and check all other bolts, screws, etc, as they've got to be loose also.

One cylinder head has a TAN wire protruding from a overheat sensor. The other end of that TAN wire at the control box end is no doubt attached to as overheat warning light. You can easily wire in a warning horn to replace that stupid light.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, when you took the thermostat out, did you remove the plastic valves and springs too? If you removed the tapered-seat plastic valve and spring, therein lies your problem.

No overheat sender or light on the 60hp. (Money saver you know.)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

F_R is correct...... there is no overheat sensor on that model. Sorry, that fact had slipped my mind. Not sure if one can be installed on that cylinder head or not..... F_R?