sold a boat.........and I still have it!

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Me oh my!

Many of you know me from 'sold a boat and it busted'. I guess I'm a used boat selling LOSER!. When I sold the 20' I/O cuddy last July I bought a 22' Macgregor sailboat. My family had a great time on it this past year, but quickly realized we wanted something larger, more comfortable, something we could overnight on without feeling like we were in a sardine can. That something turned out to be a 27' Cal. I've posted pictures of it on my other thread. Got a great deal on it, a deal I couldn't pass up so I bought it before I sold the Mac. Both were on the same lake in different marinas.

Put the Mac up for sail on craigslist for a decent price. I thought if I sold the Mac and the buyer wanted the slip that was great, I would keep the slip the my new boat was in and the other marina would transfer the lease on the Mac. If the new buyer didn't want the slip, then they would have to find a trailer to haul it away and I would move my new boat to the old slip. A week went by and I thought it be prudent to buy a trailer and offer it with the boat. If the new buyer wanted to keep the slip I would resell the trailer (250 bucks).

SO, I found a buyer, The caveat was he was just learning to sail and wanted me to throw a few sailing lessons in the deal. NO PROBLEM! I was willing and eager to show off my skills! He looked at the boat, had cash in his pocket, he wanted to keep it in the slip for a few months and then haul it off to another middle Tennessee lake later on. We made an agreement that he would kinda sublet the slip till he was ready to move the boat, and also gave me the next months rental up front. COOL!

We met a few weeks later and went out for a sailing lesson. The end of May came along and I emailed him to see what his plans were for June. He relpied that he would send me a check for June and then move the boat. He sent the check. That was the last I heard from him. I emailed him 3 times last week (he always was quick to resond before via email) and found a phone number for him on the internet (I lost his cell number due to time passing).

June will be up tommorrow and I would have had to pay another months slip fee, besides I already notified the marina that I would be out by the end of June and they had promised the slip to someone else (there is a 2 year waiting list if you are bringing your own boat in, not assuming a slip for a boat that you bought).

EDIT: We decided to keep the Cal in it's current slip and not move it for several reasons. One reason we like that marina better.

Still no word from him. I took the trailer down to the marina yesterday, de-stepped the mast, and hauled the Mac out. It's sitting in my driveway right now.

COMMENTS! I believe I had the right to haul it out of there. How long do I wait for him to contact me? :confused:

I hope he is okay. He was a real nice guy. I'm afraid that some sort of life event happend to him or his family to completely forget about the Mac. Please give me your thoughts, comical, serious or sarcastic :D

As in my previous post, I will let you know what happens!:)

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: sold a boat.........and I still have it!

You had no right to this, it is not your boat.

People get their cars towed. Cars that they own. Although time in his "meter" was not technically up till tommorrow at midnight, but I had the trailer, he needed the trailer to get it out, we agreed that I would meet him, give him the trailer and help him haul it out. I have to go to work tommorrow. If I left it, I would have the marina down my neck, and a mess to deal with.

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class

LMAO.

I hope you keep the 27 footer for a while, you don't have much luck selling your old boats.

hope everything works out for you though!

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

People get their cars towed. Cars that they own. Although time in his "meter" was not technically up till tommorrow at midnight, but I had the trailer, he needed the trailer to get it out, we agreed that I would meet him, give him the trailer and help him haul it out. I have to go to work tommorrow. If I left it, I would have the marina down my neck, and a mess to deal with.

Since you had an agreement for this your in the clear. I would have let the marina deal with it however especially after no return calls.

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you had an agreement for this your in the clear. I would have let the marina deal with it however especially after no return calls.

I asked them what they would do. They said it was my slip, my lease, boat still in it, my bill, and they have direct draft to my account

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Has the paperwork been signed over to new buyer?
If so, you can not legally bother the boat.
Be like going down the street and grabbing a car you had sold and transfered ownership over to someone else.
Was the slip fee month to month or seasonal?
All you can do or should have done, was leave boat there, pay the fee and collect from buyer when he gets in touch with you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have a 50hp outboard motor that i sold 2 months ago, he was going to come get, then decided to have it shipped. i've been waiting a month for him to send me the money to ship it.

freddyray21

Commander

a sticky situation you should have never gotten yourself into. Once the boat was sold to him the paperwork including the slip rental should have been transferred to the new owner and you would have been out of it. You were foolish to keep the slip rental in your name.

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class

a sticky situation you should have never gotten yourself into. Once the boat was sold to him the paperwork including the slip rental should have been transferred to the new owner and you would have been out of it. You were foolish to keep the slip rental in your name.

Good point, but the marina would have locked him into a one year lease. I thought I was doing him a favor of letting him keep the slip for a few months till he could move it to where he wanted to keep it.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well this should be interesting :)

WizeOne

Commander

Personally I do not think you have a problem. You did not hijack his boat. (which is apparently all paid for) You just moved it to avoid complications from him not fulfilling his end of the bargain on the slip.

I assume that you would let him have his boat on demand. I do hope you left him a message and or sent him a letter to that effect.

This is not like the rental of a home. If you did not haul it out, the marina would have. You just avoided any fees that you would have been charged for.

I cannot see that you would end up in another court case like you just endured.

We will however stay tuned. You have been (sad to say) a source of great drama. You have done your turn. We really hope you dodge the bullet this time.:p

This is also a great lesson to never get in the middle unless there are great profits to be had.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Since you were being held accountable for the slip, I consider it your property. Therefore, all you did was move someone elses property off of yours. Did you have the right to....probably not. All contengencies should have been addressed in the contract/bill of sale. I hope in the future that every conceivable senario including, but not limited to, a comet impact with the earth is covered. Man...good luck...again!

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I assume that you would let him have his boat on demand. I do hope you left him a message and or sent him a letter to that effect.

Yes, I actually thought I had this guy's back. I weighed the consequenses of leaving the boat and demanding payment if and when he showed up again.

I had a good (although brief) business deal with this guy. I think something happened to him. I'm not out to screw anyone. I spent a day decomissioning the boat, hauling it out, making sure it's in good shape. He calls and come to get it in my driveway? We shake hands and all is well. The boat is fine. Well cared for, still. It's his not mine.

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class

All contengencies should have been addressed in the contract/bill of sale.

Damn! We would need lawyers to do this! LOL!.

Thanks for your comments! I agree with your gut feeling.

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class

All contengencies should have been addressed in the contract/bill of sale.

Thanks for your comments! I do agree with your gut feeling.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you can say that again:D

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good point, but the marina would have locked him into a one year lease. I thought I was doing him a favor of letting him keep the slip for a few months till he could move it to where he wanted to keep it.

Yes, I actually thought I had this guy's back. I weighed the consequenses of leaving the boat and demanding payment if and when he showed up again.

I had a good (although brief) business deal with this guy. I think something happened to him. I'm not out to screw anyone. I spent a day decomissioning the boat, hauling it out, making sure it's in good shape. He calls and come to get it in my driveway? We shake hands and all is well. The boat is fine. Well cared for, still. It's his not mine.

You MR country_bumpkin have a kind heart trying to help the buyer. I myself might have thought about doing the same thing. I have many times before In different situations given the helping hand.

I will give you a little tip i learned a long time ago. No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. I have had my butt in a sling on more occasions than i care to remember trying to help. Unbelievable results for helping. So Now i just forget trying and cover my you know what.
If the money had changed hands per the agreement and it was final I would have had some official powers to be remove the now trespassing boat and be done with it. In this day and age you need to watch your own back. Not someone else.

I do wish you every bit of luck. Cause if a lawyer gets involved I'm sure they will snag you for something. Thats the modern way of doing things.

salty87

Commander

sounds like you're just storing it for him on the hard? he has no storage agreement with anyone, he didn't with that marina either. you've secured the lowest cost storage for him. send a certified letter telling him to get it to cya, hope he's ok.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, this was more sarcasm than anything else. However, after several deals that did not go too smooth, I have included more detail than usual in my bill of sales that are signed by the buyer and myself. A simple bill of sale which included a date that the craft had to be removed by (or slip taken over), would have helped. Best of luck !!!