'86 force won't start please help

martin1370

Recruit
:confused:
I just bought this boat w/ the 1986 85 hp force outboard motor, model #856f6b. I have a neighbor helping me,but can't get it running. It turns over everytime, and the first few times it ran for a few seconds. we checked the plugs and they all get spark. Fuel lines are all clear, filter looks new. The plugs are not getting wet with gas though, any ideas?
My first boat

Reboot11133

Seaman
Re: '86 force won't start please help

I had a similar problem, are you pushing in on the key when you start to engage the choke?

maxum247

Lieutenant

How long has the boat set?

martin1370

Recruit

I got it started by putting fuel in the cylinders, but it won't circulate water. I figure the water inlet is the holes on each side of the gear housing. Is that the water inlet? I could not get it to shut off at the remote with the key. Oh S&^T. It died on its own. I dont want start it again unless I am sure it pumps water. Motor last ran last year. Yes the chuke works push the key in.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... is the fuels primer bulb firm and staying firm? can you watch the carbs with the cowling off and see if the choke is engaging the butterflys.. try pressing the ignition in a couple times to choke and and see if you cant get the O/B to cough and sneeze.

martin1370

Recruit

I can see the choke working, and the bulb stays hard. I did get it to run after putting gas in the spark plugs, but it ran a minute after I shut the key off, and no water was shooting out. I put the rabbit ears on the vents in front of the prop. Is that how it supposed to work, or is it different on this motor? model #856F6B 1986 85 HP FORCE

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... yup muffs on small grates or slots on the LU, sounds like you got it right. well you might pull those carbs. sound dry as a bone, no fuel. may be gummed up. try WD40 and check for gumming or blockage. also check the fuel diaphram just behind the fuel filter for tears or cracks. here is a good link on carb cleaning.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

Last edited: