Mercury Mark 20 Fuel Filter

Jim Kelly

Cadet
Can the fuel filter on a Mark 20 be cleaned? Is a replacement available. The original was made by the Moline Filter Co. Should it be replaced? If so, with what?

Thanks.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury Mark 20 Fuel Filter

Some will clean but you can change the carb top and cap and update it off an donor from a newer carb to solve the problem.

Jim Kelly

Cadet

Laddies,
Thanks for your reply. I flushed the filter out with carb cleaner and it seems to be clear. Is the filter a screen?

Thanks again.

Laddies

Banned

If it's the new style with the filter cap thats attached with a small bolt the newest filter is a screen but it is a original style that is a seperate filter body that screws into the top cap its a dfferant material.

Chris696

Cadet

The one on my motor is about 4" round,disk shape and is mounted with a metal bracket to the side cover attaching screws. It's above the carb. and totally seperate. I have the same question about cleaning it. Is carb cleaner enough? Just soak it for awhile? Anyone know what is inside of it?

Laddies

Banned

The disc type filters have a sintered bronze filter inside and could be washed and reused. The most common fix today is to change the carb top over the the screen type filter which was originally a sintered bronze element also.