2hp Evinrude

rupertmja

Seaman
My first post - I recently acquired 6 of these in bits and have just rebuilt my first one. Compression is 90, Spark is fine, Points have been cleaned up, Carb has been cleaned, etc. Trouble is, it'll only start in the FAST position and then it runs for 3-4 secs and stops. Sounds like no spark, just dies. I set the points at .5mm which I though was 20thou - is that right? Can't think of anything else at present. Any ideas welcome.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2hp Evinrude

Don't know why your motor won't start, but you got me to look up the gap in mm. Yes, .5mm is .0197 inches. Mighty close.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to "Outboard won't start" in Engine FAQs.

Sounds like a fuel supply problem to me. Filter in tank outlet, unsuccessful carb cleaning.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

As JB says a fuel problem. You say you get a good spark and it starts easily. Check for proper fuel flow, tap opening properly, filter clean, tank vent open etc but if it dies within a few seconds IMO that's too quickly for any of the above to be the cause.

I'd go for carb problems. Just how well did you clean it. Clean it again ensuring all jets and passages are clear. Poking a soft copper wire through is sometimes the only way.

Go to the Engine FAQs board and read the posts on carb cleaning and carb needle adjustment as well

BTW what is the year/model number

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Check the carb throttle roller and the advance on the timer base.Some of the timer bases have plastic advance cams that break.You can compare to your others.

rupertmja

Seaman

After I made my first post I went back and took it apart again. The points gap was too big. Now, it runs great. I am now in the process of rebuilding a couple more.

By the way, anyone know what the torque setting is for the conrod bolts?

Does anyone know of any online manuals or info for small outboards?