Bravo III vs Alpha I

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
I know that the counter rotating props on a Bravo III make going into reverse easier to control, but what are some of the other advantages of a Bravo III vs Alpha I sterndrive? In a boat with twin I/Os, is this factor less important? Are there any advantages of a Alpha I over a Bravo III other than cost?
RK

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Bravo III vs Alpha I

Power handling is the biggest difference.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The big advantage is a LOT more thrust and a lot LESS prop slip.

My brother bought my 87 Four WInns Liberator new. With the 460 it did about 60 mph with the 1.43:1 King Cobra and a 20p (19p cupped) prop.

It was always a little slow out of the hole. Even with a 17p prop it was still slow to get up on plane.

When he drove it last OCT with the 454 Bravo III (about the same or slightly less HP) he told me that it now comes out of the hole and accelerates more than "twice as fast" as it ever did even when new"

Aside form the much better slow speed handling it's really nice to ski or board behind now because it pops everyone right out of the water instead of dragging them along trying to get on a plane...

Cheers,

Rick

TilliamWe

Banned

I know that the counter rotating props on a Bravo III make going into reverse easier to control, but what are some of the other advantages of a Bravo III vs Alpha I sterndrive? In a boat with twin I/Os, is this factor less important? Are there any advantages of a Alpha I over a Bravo III other than cost?
RK

Other B3 advantages: faster planing, lower speed to hold plane, ability to put a big block in front of it without hurting it, engine mounted raw water pump (the big advantage is if you can actually reach it, then you can change an impeller while the boat is in the water), somewhat less wander at idle speed (really depends on the hull).

These advantages still exist in a twins set up. My father switched his Chap Signature 300 cruiser from Bravo 2s to Bravo 3s and he said the boat did everything better. Low speed handling, handling in reverse, planed faster, held plane better, and went faster on the top end.

Alpha one advantages: Much less expensive to replace if you break it. Props are much less expensive to buy and experiment with. At docking speeds, the Alpha will go slower (due to more prop slip, mostly) which can be a very good thing in tight areas.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone. I am looking to upgrade and I am trying to decide if I should limit my search to boats with Bravo IIIs. It sounds like it's worth making the Bravo IIIs essential along with my other must haves...electric windlass, AC, etc. I assume the Volvo DP have similar benefits.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

When I originally went searching for a replacement engine/drive to replace my Wonderful King Cobra, I specifically looked for either a small block MPI 300+ hp Mercruiser with a Bravo I on it. I found one but it was a rather high time salt water unit. that had lost the raw pump and the guy ran it until it (the exhaust system) smoked.:eek:

It was a Merc dealer selling it and they were willing to certify it as "OK" since they made the required repairs etc....

I decided to pass....

I found the 454 Bravo III on Craigslist and it was low time, fresh water and $5000....I wanted a Bravo One but after asking all the same questions as you right here on this site, I decided to buy it. I would not trade it for a Bravo I now. the boat runs awesome.

Cheers,

Rick

TilliamWe

Banned

If anything, the VP DuoProp is better than the B3. They were the first to use it, and their props are even more special.

TilliamWe

Banned

Ask any Volvo owner. :)

But seriously, there is something about their propsets, with the little bit more of a diameter difference than the B3s have that supposedly makes the VP DP even more efficient than a B3.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Sounds a lot like a FORD-Chev thing to me......(wait a min....Volvo is Owned by Fomoco!)

Yeah there may be a difference. although you don't see a lot of Volvos with huge HP engines in front... and for every Volvo sold Merc sells 100....... You know the first Volvo Penta out drive was "designed" by a Mercury engr by the name of Jim Wynne right after he left Kiekhaefer (then he sold it to VP)

None of this stuff means anything today!

Though.... this could get get as fun as an oil thread!!:p I love oil threads......I just don't respond to them anymore!