QD-16 questions

Hello Everyone!
im very new to this board and from what I see is a great resource to all...
The problem Im having with my green qd-16 is setting the speed controls for slow to high... I can turn the higher rpm knob on the bottom 3 revolutions around, it works well on the last revolution for about a minute, then I believe too much gas is being let in and it floods it out and stops the motor. I had it set earlier and it was working, but I went to put the motor cover on and it wouldnt go back on due to the knob being in the way... so what I need is a guide to running the high and low speed settings for this motor. thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: QD-16 questions

1955 10hp Johnson - QD-16. If you haven't cleaned and rebuilt that carburetor yet, it would be a good idea to do so to eliminate any possible internal problems.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thank You very much Joe. That was a great help. The motor is now running smoothly, and I am now confident about taking the boat out. Do you know if there happens to be an online resource that might have the original owners manual or service manual for my motor? I encountered a problem with the air and fuel intake off of the pressurized tank, which a good friend helped me out with, after replacing coils and I forget what else he did, LOL he found a piece of debris in the air inlet connector on the motor. I want to properly maintain this motor and have it last forever, so it would be beneficial to have the manuals. Thanks again 4 your assistance....

jbjennings

Captain

It won't last forever, probably just another couple of hundred years with good maintenance.:D I thought I saw the other day that iboats had manuals now. I think there's a site called KenCook that sells 'em, too. It may have changed though. Someone will check in.
Nice motor--I like mine, too.:)
JBJ