post fuel pump diaphram replacement

conor1366

Seaman
after I replace the diaphram in my fuel pump, do I need to do anything special?

I am recieving my engine manual tomorrow and I am ancy to know what to expect to do.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: post fuel pump diaphram replacement

If your reassemble it correctly just pump the primer bulb up and go fishing.

conor1366

Seaman

I have not done it yet....how do I know if the diaphram is bad? I am picking up the part tomorrow and want to be prepared.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a low hour merc 80 i loved, my pump went haywire my oil injection worked but fuel didnt flow. The little diaphram for fuel side was turn over and was the reason for problems. Maybe fuel and addatives where the culprut or running all out. The diaphram kit instantly made my outboard perfect again. For the money is a good mod when in doubt. Would have saved the whole boating season 98 if id known sooner, paying a mech 100 hour is no joke. I like working on my stuff. What brand and year motor do you have? I modded my force pump with rtv around fittings and such to rule out air leaks.

conor1366

Seaman

Its a 1975 Chrysler 45 hp. The lower unit went bad...so while I am waiting for the rebiut one to come back I am trying to get all the smaller issues repaired so I can get on the water quick.

The motor is on a 15' 1988 Bayliner Bass Trophy that I bought the day after memorial day. I paid 1200 for the boat, trailer and motor, then replaced the flooring, carpet, seats, and batteries. I had it out for the first time last weekend and the lower unit crapped out.....

I like working on my own things as well, however I have never been an engine buff and don't claim to be an expert on boats as a whole. I have owned some older boats with motors of the same vintage, however this boat is 12 years younger than the motor. The origonal motor was a 50 hp Force, however it must have been or became junk so they kept the transom mount and switched to the Chrysler because it bolted right up to the mount.

Now my problem is that the cavitation plate on the Chrysler is 4-6" below the hull so now I don't think I will ever get on plave with the longer Chysler shaft.