SX outdrive ; do I need a u-joint/yoke and gimble?

gatorgitter

Cadet
Howdy, Guys.....
I've been struggeling w/removing my SX-M outdrive ( attached to a '03 VP 5.0 GXi-B engine), but w/ y'alls help, I got it off... Now , I'm on to figuring out what needs to be replaced.

Removing the outdrive was preventative/exploratory in nature ; I didn't have a problem, I just wanted to check everything out, since I dont know the maintence history , and I have a trip to the Keys coming up ; I;m afraid of Blue water as it is , I need Confidence in my equipment...

Anyway.... Attached are a couple of picures of the Yoke, Ujoints and bellows/gimble bearing. The Bearing Feels Very smooth , as do the U-Joints. The bellows look good as new , and there was no water in them. The Alignment bar slides in Very Easy, considering how heavy it is.

I know I need a seal ( p/n 3852560) , new nuts , and u-joint O rings, and I suppose it's prudent to replace the bellows. But I'm not sure about the gimble bearing, and u-joint/yoke assmbly. Although they seem to look and feel OK , naturally I'm concerned about the rust of the yoke shaft ; apparently the boat has taken on water at some point, although this is the 1st indication of it.

So... I'm y'alls eyes , what am I looking at ? Should I replace the gimble bearing and/or the yoke/u-joint assembly ? Anything else ? I hope y'all dont say 'coupler' , as I can't do that myself.

I'm uneasy about replaceing the yoke/u-joint assembly, as I'm not sure how to set 'rolling torque' ( but I bet I can learn , if I have to) , so I'm hoping I can just clean it up and re-sure it.

btw, I can take more/better pics, if it will help.
Thanks a million...
gator

Attachments

• u-joint.jpg
    u-joint.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
  • shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1
  • gimble.jpg
    gimble.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1

tommays

Admiral
Re: SX outdrive ; do I need a u-joint/yoke and gimble?

Very strange it looks like you had a lot of water in the bilge or something is dripping on the shaft

I would think a bit got in the gimble bearing

buggiedad_67

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: SX outdrive ; do I need a u-joint/yoke and gimble?

it looks good to me but i am not a pro, the rust that i see is the shaft that is exposed out the back of the engine, if everything feels smooth grease it and go. check your bellows close but dont see any water that has gotten to the yoke, do you know when the last time all this was replaced or checked.