1988 135hp merc outboard stator failures

RBBOWER

Recruit
In the last four years I have had to replace my stator three times. I think I have done every diagnostic procedure out there, to try to find out why they fail. My question is this, does anybody know of a good after market stator maufacturer, that they have have had good luck with. Engine is a 1988 Model # 9-1354128 Serial # OB334217.

Thanks

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1988 135hp merc outboard stator failures

CDI stators are both better and cheaper than Mercury.

Are you sure you don't have a 16 amp stator under a 40 amp flywheel?

Are you sure the top bearing, casting holding the stator, etc are in good shape so there is absolutely no contact between the stator and the flywheel?

hope it helps
John

RBBOWER

Recruit

Thank you so much for your help. I having been ordering my stators by engine serial number. How do I check the flywheel? I will go with a CDI this time.

Ron

j_martin

Admiral

Thank you so much for your help. I having been ordering my stators by engine serial number. How do I check the flywheel? I will go with a CDI this time.

Ron

Take a picture of the flywheel, downward angle from the top. Post it, and also the part number of the stators you've been ordering.

I swap em back and forth all the time. I should be able to figure it out with that.

hope it helps
John

RBBOWER

Recruit

Thank you again for your help. I will do exactly as you said when I go to pull the flywheel.

Ron

j_martin

Admiral

Thank you again for your help. I will do exactly as you said when I go to pull the flywheel.

Ron

You don't need to pull the flywheel for the picture.

hope it helps
John

RBBOWER

Recruit

Hi John: I have never used the attachment feature, but I will try to attach a picture of my flywheel as you suggested. Thanks for all your help.

John it came back after uploading, saying that the file size was to big.

I could email the picture to you.

Ron