2hp Evinrude won't start! please help

z_dennis

Cadet
Hello everyone,

First i'd like to say that im new to the forums and im happy to be a part of this great community!

I purchased a 1971 2hp Evinrude a couple of days ago from the original owner. The motor is in great shape, has 40-60 hours on it (according to the owner), has no rust.

The previous owner said that it worked perfectly last time he used it 2 years ago.

I replaced the spark plug (champion J6C, cleaned the carb (it was actually pretty clean even before i cleaned it), replaced all the parts in the carb that came with the original carb kit from Evinrude dealer.

I took out the sparkplug and it sparks fine when i pull the cord. The fuel tank and line are perfectly clean. Carb is clean. Compression is 60-65 psi, which is a bit low but it could be because the motor was cold and sitting for 2 years.

I must've pulled the starter cord over 300 times today. It started 4-5 times, and ran for 2-5 seconds before quitting. Most of the times it did start, both mixture adjustment knobs were fully closed. Perhaps it was getting too much fuel, and with the knobs closed it started and ran untill burning up the fuel leftovers?

I think (and hope) that the problem is related to the mixture adjustments. This is my first engine where this is done manually, and i have NO idea where the knobs should be. I tried starting it with knobs in different positions, without much luck.

The engine "feels" as if it has to run at wide open throttle for a few seconds to "break in" after 2 years of sitting. The problem is i cant get it to start and run. Should i try some of that "quick start" fluid to help it start?

What else can i try?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!
Best reagrds, Dennis

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 2hp Evinrude won't start! please help

Welcome to iboats!

Don't use starter fluid on your motor, it's bad stuff for 2 stroke motors.

Try these settings first:

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

steve66

Seaman

Hi Z_Dennis,This is a common problem with the single cylinder omc 2 hp.The problem is low compression.I have 4 in my shed with exactly the same problem.Unfortunately due to the design the piston has to be removed through the crank side of the crank case as opposed to the cylinder head side.This is because the big end is actually wider than the cylinder and unless you have an exceptionally long ring compressor is a very difficult job.Unfortunately the price and availability of new pistons and rings makes this repair usually not viable.
Regards Steve

z_dennis

Cadet

Thanks for replies, guys.

Some new things happened today:

1) I put the 2 mixture adjustment knobs in recommended positions, and was able to start and run the motor a number of times. It still needs 10-20 pulls, and a lot of playing around with the choke/throttle to start, but it does start and run pretty good at high rpm (in 70-100% throttle range). At idle speed, the motor doesnt run. I tried my best to adjust the mixture for low speed, but its nearly impossible to do because at low speed (less than 50% throttle) the motor stalls in 2 seconds or so.

The weirdest thing is that the motor wont start or run at all with choke not fully closed (choke lever pushed in all the way). On the sticker it tells to pull out the choke all the way to start it, and gradually push it in as the engine warms up.

Im new to 2 stroke motors, can somebody please educate me on this topic? To my understanding, when the choke plate is fully open, it allows more air in, and reduces vacuum. So when the choke plate is closed, there is more vacuum and richer mixture, which makes it easier to start the motor. So why is it recommended to start it with the choke fully open, and close it as the engine warms up? This doesnt make any sence to me. Where am i wrong?

Why doesnt my engine start or run (at low rpm), or runs poorly at high rpm with the choke lever not completely IN?

2) After running the engine for a while, i checked the compression and its about 88-90 psi on one starter cord pull. So i dont think that compression is the problem as suggested in post #3 by Steve.

Thanks for reading, and any help is greatly appreciated!
Dennis

steve66

Seaman

Hi,I still think your compression is to blame,hence the increase in compression due to heat in the cylinder and oil mixture around the bore.I have found the compression needs to be around the 100psi from cold.
Steve

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I don't agree that compression is the problem. This is a small, rope start engine and he took compression on one pull. My 2HP had about 60psi on multiple pulls with a screw in guage and ran like a top.

I think the problem is related to fuel supply.

The terminology on the choke use is confusing. When the choke plate is closed the engine is choked. Normally we choke it to start and then gradually remove the choke, just as the book says.

It seems that ZD is telling us that it won't start or run that way, that choking it prevents it from starting or running. That suggests that it is flooding.

The carb needs to be cleaned, with attention to the float needle and float level.

Remove and clean the filter on the tank outlet and verify that the valve works.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Compression is clearly NOT the issue, or it wouldn't start at all. Sounds like a fuel or mixture problem to me too.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

it laid up too long,pull the carb apart and the shut off valve,i think that eng has some kind of filter up in the tank wher the fuel exits,that too should be replaced,be sure to clean the carb throughly,it needs to soak,clean it good,flush tank and the eng will run,no short cuts,its not rocket science,2 yrs of sitting especially if it had any fuel in the tank will screw the system,and no quick start,it has no lubrication,the only way to clean carb is disassembly

z_dennis

Cadet

Thanks again for replies!

The confusing part with the choke is that the sticker on the motor tells you to PULL OUT the choke knob to start the motor, and then push it in as it warms up. Pulling it out opens up the choke plate in the carb (i think, anyway).

I dont think that the carb or fuel line/tank is the problem. I took apart and cleaned the carb completely. The fuel line and tank are also very clean.

Why does the eingine only run with the choke knob pushed in all the way? (choke CLOSED, i think)

Is it possible that the spark is too weak? When i take out the spark plug and pull the starter rope, it sparks, but i cant tell how strong the spark is.

I dont think that the carb or the fuel line is the problem. I took apart and cleaned the carb, replacing all the critical components. The fuel line and tank are also very clean.

Thanks again for the help!
Dennis

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

assuming your correct and the sticker is wrong,does the eng perform in that scenario?is there any way you can see how the choke works?your spark should be a dark blu and be able to jump 3/8 to 7/16 gap,ifthe engine only runs with the choke ,you have a fuel problem

steve66

Seaman

Well Gents thank you very much i apologise for leading dennis up the wrong path, but after reading your posts i decided to dig out a couple of old 2 hp johnsons.After spinning the flywheel with a drill it still would not run.So i swapped the carb and hey presto a runner!!I checked the compression and it was about 70 psi.I checked the other motor and that was 90psi cold so there are no excuses with that one.Anyway back to the point my motor also needs the choke knob to be pushed fully in to run properly.I think i am correct in thinking you can buy carb kits for these engines.Have anyone bought these and are the benefits worth it?
Thanks z dennis,mikesea,wilde1j,xcusme and jb for putting me right.
Steve

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Believe me, dennis. The problem is fuel supply related. You probably failed to clear some tiny passage. Inexperienced carb cleaners miss that more often than not.

Take the carb off. Look into the throat from the back. There is a tiny, tiny hole in the bottom of the throat right close to where the throttle plate touches when at idle, and another also tiny, but less tiny just in front of it. They are the idle and medium speed circuit outlets to feed gas to the airstream. They must be clear for the engine to idle and run well at low rpm. To get them clear there are several options. The simplest is a good soak and then air pressure. The most reliable is to remove the welch plugs opposite them and run a mechanical devise like a piece of wire through them. Replacement welch plugs will be in the overhaul kit.

The reason the engine runs when the choke knob is pushed in is that is what is supposed to happen. You pull out to choke the engine for starting enrichment and you push it in when the engine warms up. The sticker is correct.

If the choke butterfly is really closing with the knob pushed in the linkage is connected incorrectly.

Take the air box off and look at the carb while operating the choke knob. When you pull out the knob the brass plate (butterfly) should close off most air flow. When you push it in the butterfly should go horizontal. That is how it should work. The sticker on the motor is correct.

rupertmja

Seaman

I have a few of these engines. Carb must be clean and the spark must be good. Low compression not a big deal for starting - probably just lose a bit of max power under load. If it's been standing, you might want to remove the flywheel and clean the points and regap them. It made an instant difference to one of my little engines.

rupertmja

Seaman

Not sure about post #3 - I can remove/insert my piston and conrod thru the top. Also, I think repair is viable. I have spent a fair bit of money renovating my little engines and people want to buy them. These old Evinrudes are as solid as they come. Perhaps not as sophistacated as modern Japanese engines, but they have ten times more life in them. No electronics, easy to deal with. With new bearings, new rings, a hone, carb kit, points and plug they are almost as good as new.

ninja.n8

Recruit

I just recently purchased a sailboat and it came with a 1976 Evinrude 2602 2 HP outboard motor. It has to be pretty much the same as Dennis's. I cleaned it up a bit and started pulling. All the same problems as Dennis's. Can't keep it running, won't run at slow speed, etc. Mine is reving up and down but never getting to full rpm's.

I have a problem giving up so I keep working on it and it's getting dark out. All of a sudden I notice a small arc between the throttle lever and the cover. I take a closer look and I'm getting a good amount of arcing between the lever and the cover.

I am going to investigate further when it's light out but I was hoping that this might be a clue to those of you with more knowledge than myself.

Dennis you can check to see if yours is arcing by getting a spray bottle of water and squirting the motor in low light.

I hope this gets us closer.

n8

rupertmja

Seaman

I have built up several of these 2hps and have a tip for starting. The choke has two clicks. Pull it all the way out to start from cold and when it starts, after a few seconds push it all the way back in and keep the revs up with the throttle to warm it up a bit. Warm starting: pull the choke out one click, start it, push it in immediately. Works for me, most of the time.