How much should it cost??

rjeffers

Recruit
A mechanic has just looked at my 5.7L 350 and says that the engine needs to be rebuilt. I am trying to make certain that I am not getting taken to the cleaners with his price of $5600.

Does this seem like a good price? Looking online it seems like I can purchase a new motor for that.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How much should it cost??

my opinion find a new engine ... as for that price .. pretty close i would assume ... whats wrong with yours ?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You need to give way more info.What kind of motor/drive,year,how many hours if it's freshwater cooled or raw water.It depends on your motor and what he's gonna do to it.
Is he gonna replace exhaust manifolds,carb,intake????? Gonna use a long block or short block?Need to know wher you live (salt/fresh).
More info please. Jerry

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Still sounds kind of high to me...
I would buy a new motor...look at ebasicpower.com....

Bondo

Staff member

A mechanic has just looked at my 5.7L 350 and says that the engine needs to be rebuilt. I am trying to make certain that I am not getting taken to the cleaners with his price of $5600.

Ayuh,...... Is that Installed,..??..??

Bondo

Staff member

That is still a rape.

Ayuh,....

I see no mention of what Hull it's sitting in....
Nor what's incuded,... or the local Labor rate,...

It could be a Steal.....

arks

Lieutenant Commander

For comparison, last summer I had a remanufactured 5.7 Crusader COMPLETELY INSTALLED in my Silverton for $5460. I removed the bad engine myself, but that price included everything else- changing over all the accessories, bench-testing the new engine, installation (in the salon- it's a straight inboard) ,connections, adjustments to all the boat systems, and the in-water test. It also has a 2 year, unlimited hour warranty.
FYI- my boatyard's rate is $75/ hour, and YES- I know that's cheap!

I think you need to get some more estimates.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

if you look at the time it takes to swap everything out, add new exhaust manifolds and risers, a good long block or rebuild heads and block... it sounds like a lot, but it'll add up. Note I've done two engine swaps in the past 9 months, one I paid someone else to put the engine in because I had a broken collar bone and shoulder, the other I just finished a few weeks ago... The first was probably right in line with the quoted figure and did include manifolds install and the long block and components I ordered. If I'm honest, the second was more, but it was hand built from aftermarket components by a local pro. can you do things cheaper, probably... but if it's a typical install, and you're being quoted everything or even most of everything - especially if including outdrive service checked out and ready to play... that's really not a surprising figure and as indicated above, could be a good deal... depending on the details. I'm not a boat mechanic, but I get paid when i work, and and expect that others I hire do as well...

Maclin

Admiral

If all rjeffers has to do is drop his boat off then come back 2 or 3 weeks later and ride around in it for a sea trial and write a check (and gets some kind of warranty) then $5600 is a good value especially if you regard your own time as worth something. No skinned knuckles, no broken tools, losing parts, no ugly mess around the garage (maybe you do not even have a shop to work on it in), etc. Seems right in line with what someone quoted here at $5460 yet had to do some of the work themselves.

As jerryjerry eluded to, this kind if question should really not be discussed without a detail list of the shop's quote with all parts, shop supplies, labor and specific service points included. I am assuming the shop will not consider the job complete until it has been trialed for an hour or so.

rjeffers

Recruit

Thanks for all of the input. I am no mechanic but what I was told is that the engine will be just like new. So I assume that this is heads, valves etc. He told me that it was a flat labor rate of $900 to do the job.

The detail of the engine is 1995 5.7L 350 (Bravo) that I purchased last year. It is sitting in a 231 proline.

Again I thank all of you for your input!