Have you seen this type of top?

Dualie

Seaman
Hey everyone,

Need to find out how this was done? Do you think its home grown or store bought?

I took some photos to post b/c the owner of the boat is never to be seen.

It's perfect b/c T-tops are too pricey for my wallet and bimini tops always seem to get in the way of fishing and folding down etc.

But this setup will give me the shade that I need and others can still be in the sun without issues.

I found TAYLOR's BIMI-TEE BIMINI on the internet, but nothing else that resembles the pic attached.

Anyone, have any clues or any ideas?

Thanks in advance - Dualie

Attachments

• boat_bimT.JPG
    boat_bimT.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat_BimT2.JPG
    boat_BimT2.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 0

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Have you seen this type of top?

Funny! Might of come from a smaller boat and it was installed backwards to suit. Hey, if it works ......................

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I would say home made also. There's all kinds of places that will make a custom top for you. You can send them your dimensions along with a pic of this one.

a70eliminator

Captain

Kinda looks like something you would see over a baby stroller.

Dualie

Seaman

Ya know, I never thought of checking out a custom job like this one. I could try to attempt to make one by cutting up a large bimini and getting parts a Westmarine to fabricate one. Although, the hard part would be to get the fabric sewn in with a heavy duty zipper.

The reality is that a custom job could turn costly and I would be better off just getting a T-top in the first place.

Pretty nice for a home made job though eh?

If anyone has any ideas on how to make this - let me know your thoughts!

Thanks 12vman and everyone elses input!

Dualie

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would cut up a bedsheet, and fit it. as a pattern before i go cutting sunbrella. you can buy the material, without buying a top.

I agree with gcboat. Looks like the two-bow bimini on my jon boat installed backwards. Looks like the vertical struts are doing the job that the fore and aft tension straps would do. Inventive.

Dualie

Seaman

HuckleberrySlim or GC,

Do you have a pic of that? Or can you explain in more detail to what GC is saying...

What should I search for- two bow bimini with a width of 47" (my console width) and 48" long?

Maybe this will be easier than I thought.

I just sent the pic to custom place around here. Curious what they will quote. I bet you its not cheap!

Sunbrella is not cheap either- thanks for the tip on the bed sheet!

-d

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Stylish:rolleyes::rolleyes: and functional........thats a hard combo to beat. :D:D

EJ3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would think PVC tubing will fit the bill for the frame. As for mounting it to the center console...

Install 2 rod holders at the base of your center console, one on each side. The PVC frame extended far enough down to insert them into the rod holders. Apply straps where needed for support. When not in use the rod holders would be used as rod holders!!!

My $.02!

I really like the design and may be the answer to my wife's question of "where's the shade?"

Dualie

Seaman

Hello fellow mariners!

I think gc & huckleberry pegged it!

take a look at this pic i found on cabellas website. only 100+ bucks and i think the rest could really be feasible.

take the two main poles and shove them down the built-in rod holders as EJ3 mentioned, then add two additional vertical poles to the deck or attaching them straight to the console. I have seen these parts in the Westmarine catalog too. Well under $100.

I might have a real shot at making this work & without spending hundreds of dollars.

dualie

Attachments

• cabellas.jpg
    cabellas.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0

To my untrained eye it looks like a two-bow bimini not installed backwards, just the tee/hinge coupling hardware reversed and back braces added.

I'd try it. Changing the angle of the bows may cause the top to be baggy. You might have to bend some forward rake into the top of the front bow.

As far as what size to use? I guess that would depend on your skill with a pipe bender.