timing issues - on volvo 4.3

killer14163

Cadet
hey have a timing question on a Volvo 4.3

here is what i have.
twin Volvo 4.3 v6 1998
i have just replaced the intake manifold on both engines and i have added brand new Rochester 4bbl quadrajet carbs - trying to get a little bump in power.

i am not a mechanic but i am very handy i can take things apart and get back together and they work when I'm done most of the time :)

OK here is where I'm at both engines are back together and both start up fine and seem to run good on the hose.

i just want to make sure they are in time so i don't do any engine damage.

i marked the distributor when i took them out and put back i figure that's why they start with no issues.
the port engine the distributor did not line up in the exact spot as before when i inserted it but i also marked the inside of the cap with the rotor and i have those lines lined up perfectly. does it mater if the angle of the distributor is odd from where it was as long as the rotor lines up with the cap points - "not sure what you call them?"

just to make sure I'm on the right track - number 1 cylinder is the one on the back of the engine on the right side correct?- looking at the pulleys the far back right wire correct?

i have made s shunt to turn off the advance and it works - if i put the light on and put the advance on 12v positive it drops back take off and it advances.

the thing i don't get is where do i line up the timing mark on this engine?? the mark is on the front of the harmonic balancer on the starboard engine it seems to be straight up when the light hits it hooked to the spark plug on the back right.

but the other engine is more at 9 o'clock position if it were a watch -- this is what puzzles me - i cant get them to be the same and i cant find out where to line up the mark . i bought a advance timing light so i can set the advance but don't know where to line up the mark?--

this is as much as i can think of to tell you where I'm at with this.

i haven't had out on lake yet but both engines fire right up and sound nice i just don't want to do damage with timing off.

last question what rpm should the engine be at when timing? and what advance should it be set at 6 deg?

thanks so much

Tracy

killer14163

Cadet
Re: timing issues - on volvo 4.3

wow reading and i found first problem

i think i had the wrong cylinder for cylinder 1

i thought it was the cylinder on the back right when faceiing the pulleys on the front.

but now i read and i think it is the cylinder closest to the front of the engine on the right is this correct?

still need help finding the timing mark line up point

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I really, really, really, don't understand how you can expect that engine to run if you don't have a manual, You don't even know the basics of GM on numbering cylinders. I would have to bet that the torque on those manifold bolts is probably way too tight and will probably cause problems. then you won't know how to put the wires on the cap, or what to set the timing at or how................... Never mind.

43Firingorder.png

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard Killer,...

The #1 cylinder is the Leading Portside Corner 1......

Being a Volvo,.... I can't help you with a Manual,...

I'm going to post the link to the Mercruiser Shop Manual for a 4.3l,...
The Carberation, Igntion,+ about Everythingelse will be Very Different,...
But atleast the Basic Motor,+ it's Timing are the same,+ I think it'll help you...

Just Remember,... It's Not specfically for your motor......

Good Luck,....

killer14163

Cadet

good thing that the gasket set i bought came with the torque specks on it -- and not too tight -- i don't have it in front of me but i believe it was 11 ft lbs--which seems like a small amount but the gasket has a beed of oring type stuff so im sure you don't want to over tighten it -- i might be wrong on the number but i did what it said on the gasket instructions and as of last night the boat runs great :)-- i have never used a timing light it was new to me but i always do my research first. and reading on this site i found that the timing should be 6 degrees advanced or 1 degree advanced if you are experiencing a nock at high rpms using low grade fuel-- now i do use 87 octane so i was unsure if i wanted to go for 6 degrees or just go for 1 degree -- i opted for 6-- boat ran great last night-- and yes i used a shunt to set the timing..-- which leads me to another question the starboard engine does not seem to advance as much as the port engine when you rev it up "without the shunt"-- and the max wot rpms was much lower 3800 to 3900 vs 4300. which i was experiencing before i took on this job. i was hoping it would clear up with new carbs -- but at this point i think it might be the electronic advance is not advancing enough. because it is still lower on the rpm,s will check that more on sun -- anyone know how much it is supposed to advance at wot?

thanks
Tracy

-- PS i have another question about the exhaust manifold hoses leading to the carbs can i cap these? will post pictures later

thanks
again
Tracy