it smokes

bertos

Cadet
i just put my 72 sea ray with a 350 chevy in the water ran great.But when i got it cruisin at 35 mph it started to smoke . Seems like something blocking the oil flow any suggestions. Thanks berto

Maclin

Admiral
Re: it smokes

Where does the smoke come from. What color is it. Does it dissipate quickly or hang around. Describe the odor if you can.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Smoking is a very bad habit... you should tell it to stop.

Robj

Lieutenant

I thought all engine smoke?? Need more info, where is it coming from? Could it be steam? How old is the engine? What condition is it in? What does the oil look like? What are the spark plugs like? Compression nos?

Have a great day,

Rob.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

To get Answers,... We need to know EVERYTHING.......

A 36 year od 350 that Smokes just Isn't Anything to go on......

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Have you put a nicorette patch on the valvecover yet?

bertos

Cadet

check the compression its fine. does not look like a blockage in the overflow in the valve covers. smells i little bit like gas. its a light colour smoke but it hang around unless i drop the rpm down . could it be the piston ring. smoke coming from the valve covers,crank case etc.could it have something to do with the blow bye.

Robj

Lieutenant

What are the compression numbers? If it smells like gas, could it be getting too much from a faulty float or fuel pump with a leaking diaphram that is pumping fuel into the spark arrestor?? Is your oil level changing due to fuel in the oil?

Have a great day,

Rob.

bertos

Cadet

im not sure what the compression numbers were i never did the test . a mechanic did he just told me they were alright. he more or less told me the boats getting up in age and the motor starting to get old. in a polite way saying dont sink a lot of money in it. what should the compression numbers be does anybody know ? no the oil levels aren't changing.

Coors

Captain

what color is the smoke, from a worn out engine?
Not enough info.

bertos

Cadet

thanks for th help go back at it tomorrow thanks again and have a save summer