16hp scott-atwater "bail-o-matic" coils

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class
i found an old 16hp scott-atwater "bail-o-matic" motor in my gradfathers basement it needs new coils he said, thats why he put it away, but i assume i will need to do some more work, any ideas on where to find parts for this thing.

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 16hp scott-atwater "bail-o-matic" coils

how would i know what magneto i have. and is it worth saving this type of motor?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

These motors a considered collectable by some and were good motors in their day.it appears the 16 bail o matic is a 55,56 model.
The scott guy at ask the scott guy may be able to help also www.aomci.org
has a forum.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Are you sure the coils are bad? I would check the coating on them and see if they are clean. Chances are, you may just need to file the points or replace the condensors. I would start there, before going through the trouble and expense of coils.:cool:

frwhlr38

Seaman

I fully agree on doing the points and condensers 1st also maybe find what the ohm readings should be for that motor, check you local liberays for books on it i have the 10 hp bail o matic and i found all kinds of stuff on it at the liberay:)

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

If your coils are bad, check out oddjobmotors.com. He has an interesting fix for these Wico mags.