50hp Outboard Suggestions

mickarch

Seaman
Hello,

I am looking to replace my 35hp 1966 Merc with a 50hp motor. It will definitely be used and my budget is up to $1000. I was wondering what year/makes have a good reputation.

I'm guessing I'll be looking at mid '80s or older for that price range in my area (Detroit, MI). Any suggestions on what is good or what to stay away from in that price range / age? I understand that maintenance can have a huge impact on quality, but I'm just looking for a starting point to go from.

Thanks for help,
Mick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 50hp Outboard Suggestions

i like the 1979 and above johnson/evinrudes. parts are readily available. great support system, easy to work on. BUYING A USE MOTOR

overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at
one time, also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with it.

also controls should come with the motor. they can cost you $100-150.

you 1966 controls will work with some older merc, but not the newer. the wiring harness are different.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

sorry

Last edited:

JB

The JohnnyRude 40-50-55-60HP twin loopers are excellent engines and many, many are in regular service. They were made from about 1970 to present. That is nearly 40 years. I doubt that anything but a superior design would last that long. I have only owned 2, but both were flawless performers.

Last edited:

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

For Mercury, the classic 4 cylinder 50 or 45 hp. motor of that time. Said here on these forums to be the best. I agree, as I owned a tiller steer model. It was flawless and run like a watch.

tashasdaddy

they were great motors once tuned and linked properly. the Johnnyrudes, much easier to work on.

mickarch

Seaman

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep my eyes open for a late '70s early 80's JohnnyRude.

Mick

tashasdaddy

BUYING A USED MOTOR

overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at
one time, also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Johnnyrude without a doubt in my opinion.
Great motors, excellent spares availability, easy to work on.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

And a looper.
My 140 is great !!!!!!