Gas Grills. You might want to skip this one!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
The summer of 2006 I bought a Perfect Flame gas grill (model slg2007A). Used it for about a month, then summer of 2007 it was used all season. This year when I uncovered and started it I found two of the three tube type burners were split down the sides. Wide open with huge flames.

So I check the warrenty, its for 1 year. So I go online to order parts and find them for 29.99 each, about $90 plus shipping. Half the price of the grill!

When looking for parts online I came across a few blogs where people were complaining about Perfect Flame grills in general. Seems that they all have a problem with cracking/splitting burners, and customer service either doesn't send replacement parts, or takes half a year to do so.

The Perfect Flame grill is sold by Lowes. After seeing all the complaints about this grill and the poor customer service, I just wanted to let members here know the Perfect Flame grill could be a huge dissapointment after a year or two.

If you want to buy one, just google Perfect Flame before you buy. I know I wish I had.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Gas Grills. You might want to skip this one!

Burners in grills gets lots of abuse. Usually cast iron or stainless burners will give many years of service. Those that are made of steel that go uncleaned after each use will have a short life. Grease becomes acidic and eats at the steel burners. Even cast iron will fail in due time if not cleaned periodically.

I don't like to take apart and clean my grill regularly. That is why I buy a cheap $30 grill with the hose adapter to use the 20# tank. At the end of the season, I give the grill away to a scapper and buy a new one in the spring.

I have had good luck with the Char-Broil brand grills in the past.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The above mentioned problem is a well known one.The high end grills all have some sort of cover above the burners exactly to prevent this sort of trouble.
Next time you go look for a grill,have a good look at the inside of a Weber and you will see what I mean.Another side effect of these burner covers is that you will no longer have your steak catch on fire...

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a stainless steel charbroil commercial series from lowes a year ago,it also has the cover over the burners.Consumer reports rated this grill as a best buy, and the price was only 300.I have been very happy with it and it dose cook meats quite well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Two years ago my wife and I bought a stainless Vermont Castings Grill. It is a high end grill that has great performance.

No complaints and will handle quite a crowd.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am in the sticks, I use a fire pit.:D
Serious though, mine don't have no fancy covers over them, but it does get cleaned after use and covered up.

puddle jumper

Captain

My 82 thou B.T.U. Brinkman Special Addition hasn't gave me a lick of trouble in 3 years. All i do is clean the cooking racks and keep it covered.
The only thing that i don't like about it is thay painted the lighting instructions on the front and it makes it look dumb.
Grilling is one of my hobbies

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My 82 thou B.T.U. Brinkman Special Addition hasn't gave me a lick of trouble in 3 years. All i do is clean the cooking racks and keep it covered.
The only thing that i don't like about it is thay painted the lighting instructions on the front and it makes it look dumb.
82 thousand BTU?:eek:
Just act like your going to light it and the meat is done.:p

puddle jumper

Captain

82 thousand BTU?:eek:
Just act like your going to light it and the meat is done.:p
Ya its kinda neat when i go out side and BBQ in the winter.
Ive done complete Turkeys for Xmas/Thanksgiving on it. Most of the time i only light 2 of the 4 burners and that will maintain a 350 degrease on low.
Its also a pig on fuel. Thinking about getting a 50 LB tank.
I got it at Walmart on a fall clearance sale for $300.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Uhhhh talk about the cause of Global Warming!!!!!!!! :eek:

jcsercsa

Captain

I got a sear craftsman two years ago, its also a big one 87,000 BTU 5 burners , got it for a wedding present from the wife !!! man I love her !!!!! Its has a cover on all the tubes , I clean them twice a year , and we use it also all year round !! I had 25 burgers and 20 brats on her at one time !! and I am a meat cutter so no wimp burgers 3/4 lbs at least !! or 17 inch and an quater ribeyes on . man that was some good eating !!!!!! John

Ps i was just looking and I dont have a pic of her I will !! and post it later !!!

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use to by a new gas grill about every 2 years because they just last. Once they get rusted, you'll never get the screws out to replace the burners. So I switched the the charcole grill. Personaly, I think the flavor is better and charcole is cheaper than propane.

aspeck

Staff member

Yes, patrickray, the flavor is better on the charcoal grill, but the ease of my Jenn-Aire stainless steel 5 burner gas grille with rotisserie can't be beat! All I do is turn the natural gas line on, then hit the button to fire her up! Last year's Father's Day present. I love grilling, and no propane bottles to mess with.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Gas grills are for meat hackers. Charcoal and wood are the ONLY way to cook.:p:p;):D:D

chiefalen

Captain

just got a silver webber best grill i ever had was in the street people moving and put in the street for garbage cover and all new scrapper in the lid i took it home cleaned it up and it looked brand new didn't look like it was ever used.best grill i ever used.kept my old grill and used both when family came over.600 dollars online for that grill without shipping.i love my ribs wife uses a can of beer in a wok with the ring in it holding up the ribs outta the beer and steams the ribs till the beer is gone than slops on masterpiece and i grill them 10-15 minutes each side and the best ribs ya ever ate guranteed.