Friday the 13th......

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well I knew it was going too good. Friday the 13th. jumped right up and bit us on the arse!

We're cruising down the river at dusk doing 3000 RPM @ 24 kts and "BANG" we hit something, the drive kicks up a bit and the vibrations started right away. Slowed and circled back and saw some debris in the water, remains of a tree branch. Nursed her home and docked. Trimmed the drive all the way up and before I had a chance to stick my hand in the water I could see a good portion of the prop blades are missing. It's a VP duoprop and the fwd prop has about 30% of two blades missing and the aft prop has about 20% of two blades missing! Damn, I knew it was going too well! *sigh*

rndn

Commander
Re: Friday the 13th......

I don't know how you can blame Friday the 13th on going down a river at dusk, in the spring going 24 knots and hitting a submerged object? I would think you would be more careful boating in rivers during the spring and at dusk.

KnottyBuoyz

Ouch! Not as bad as I first thought. They're fixable.

img_0676.jpg

KnottyBuoyz

I don't know how you can blame Friday the 13th on going down a river at dusk, in the spring going 24 knots and hitting a submerged object? I would think you would be more careful boating in rivers during the spring and at dusk.

Maybe I just should have stayed in the slip eh? I'd of saved about $300 in fuel and prop repairs! After nearly 40 yrs of boating on this river this is the first time I've ever hit anything like that. Usually I'm pretty good at spotting junk in the river. This year the water levels are high as the ISLRBC is trying to hold as much back for summer power production. It's undermined a lot of trees lining the riverbanks. Last year we almost hit a picnic table. By the time I got turned around to put a line on it, it was gone, probably waterlogged.

I was lucky this time, maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket! ;-)

jmelzark

Seaman Apprentice

Thats why I only run jet pumps on my outboards.....

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Shame but at least it is repairable and nobody got hurt.

KnottyBuoyz

Yesterday I installed a new set of B4's and the boat came alive!!! It jumps up on plane with little effort, cruises quietly (no more u-joint grumbling) and it just seems happier. It's a little slower but appears to be running more effortlessly. The downside is it seems to be less responsive at slow speeds so you have to be ready to give it some throttle.

204 Escape

Ensign

I got laid off on Friday the 13th. Is that bad enough luck for ya ?? :eek:

(Got a call today to go to a new job starting Friday) !!!!!! ;)