Tried something new (or not?)

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class
After reading alot of posts on muffs, I decided to take a good look at mine and saw that the hole the water goes thru ain't that big, so for my own piece of mind and I'm sure this has been done by alot of you guys, I dropped my drive down into a large Rubbermaid tub that is just big enough and deep enough for the lower to fit. I fill it up and leave the hose running and it seems to work better. The tub cost me $5 at Walmart. The only headache is removing the water from the full tub, but then I remembered I have one of those shaker-siphon hoses and that emptied it out just swell!:D

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tried something new (or not?)

You can use the tub as long as you keep it full of water bur muffs are3 made for flushign motors and works just fine.

At least on muffs when you flush the motor your run fresh water back in the motor and not exhaust soot and crap mixing with your flush water.

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the thing i like about a tub of water is that my well is weak and if someone flushes the toilet my pressure drops bad.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I keep the hose in the tub and have it turned on pretty good so I'm keeping cool clean water going into it. Another reason I thought I would try it, I'm never sure if I have the hose turned on too low or to hi when it's on the muffs, this way with the tub I let the drive take in what it wants. Just another way to skin the cat! Here kitty!;)

Maclin

Admiral

Just make sure the water keeps running like you mentioned. My boat's exhaust is not thru hub and will blow most of the engine water out over the tub and it does not aerate the water as much, but some heated water can enter the tub. I just make sure the tub is overflowing, kind of messy but I really like being able to see the amount of water that comes out with the exhaust. You can also run higher rpms longer and not have to worry about outrunning the muffs. Even still, moderation is everything, don't go crazy with the rpms.

This method can cause problems if you put it in gear as the prop can really move a lot of the water out of the tub quickly! as well as catch the hose.

Simple enough to remove the prop if you need to check the gears I suppose.