Scooters 101?

mscher

Lieutenant
Never imagined having to be thinking about scooters, but here we are, with $5 gas.

We are thinking about getting our 15 year old a scooter, to commute to summer school and maybe a part time job, unti he get his license.

No nothing about them, accept they are a little annoying when I see them, which should get "better' when they start appearing EVERYWHERE.

New? Used? reliable models? Prices?

Any input appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Scooters 101?

15 year old? Can they drive without a license in IN? Everywhere I have been you must have a license to operate a motor vehicle on public roads.

I wish I had my '62 CB50 Honda Sport 50 back. Couldn't do much over 60 (modified to 55cc and burning methanol), but it got 150mpg on the methanol. Probably could have gotten better mileage if I had kept it on gasoline, but then it would work hard to go 50.

mscher

Lieutenant

15 year old? Can they drive without a license in IN? Everywhere I have been you must have a license to operate a motor vehicle on public roads.

I wish I had my '62 CB50 Honda Sport 50 back. Couldn't do much over 60 (modified to 55cc and burning methanol), but it got 150mpg on the methanol. Probably could have gotten better mileage if I had kept it on gasoline, but then it would work hard to go 50.

Many states have some type of "Moped" law, usually 2 or 3 wheels, under 2HP, 50cc engine, auto transmission, lights, horn etc. Indiana is age 15 and up. No license required. 100mpg.

Scooters are a favorite of DUI convicts. You can also tell when a motel has been converted to a penal work-release facility. The parking lot will be filled with scooters.

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not advertising by any means.

I handle service/tech support and warranties here www.marshinpower.com

MY ADVISE BUY THE BEST ONE YOU CAN AFFORD.

Kymco would be my choice for a 50cc machine,kymco super-9.Aprilia makes a nice 50cc scooter called a di-tech,if your not comfortable with fuel injection stay away from the di-tech though.I have (over the past 10 years) found that most scooter owners dont take very good care of them so finding one that is in good shape is hard.I realize it is for a 15 year old,but we have a Kymco super-9 in the shop that with a few hop up parts and some tuning will run a solid 65 mph on flat ground.

The cheaper chinese models like we carry are mainly intended for DUI's.Folks who have no plans other than riding it till they get their liscense back.They are cheaply made,not really made to last.I see Kymcos,aprilias,etc still running fine with 20k miles on them with proper maint. of course.The highest mileage on a scoot(kymco zx-50),that I have seen had 61k on it.LOL,figure up that seat time at 30 mph....

NC laws allow a 15 year old to operate a 50cc scoot with a 31mph top speed,but most are simply restricted and once derestricted most will do 45ish.The aprilia di-tech you actually derestrict by plugging a gameboy into the diagnostic port.Yes I said game boy.....

If ya have questions on a specific brand let me know.

JC

waterinthefuel

Commander

Oh I can help you with this, partner. My avatar is my scooter! I would like to know whats annoying about watching someone slip by you making 70mpg when you're making 12. Oh yea, nevermind, that would annoy me too! :D

The only reason I would not go with the brands mentioned above is access to a dealership. The big 3 have dealerships easily available and local. Those other names are much harder to find dealerships that service them.

I'll try to make this halfway brief. I don't know what you're looking for. An urban only commuter? You might be able to get away with a 125. You would do better with a 250 as it has highway capabilities. If you want to go on the interstate take a 400+ monster out there. They can go in the triple digit speeds if conditions are right.

As far as reliability, stick with the name brands. Avoid chinese. This does not include Kymco, which is a really good Taiwan scooter. Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda all make reliable machines that can give decades of service if taken care of.

Prices: 125cc Vino Yamaha about 3000.
250cc Honda if you can find one or Kymco, around 4500.
400cc Suzuki or Yamaha around 5800
600cc Honda or 650cc Suzuki about 7300

The reason I would say stay away from Vespa is that they are a fancy name, powerful scooter for their size and very expensive. A 150 Vespa is almost as much as a 250 Honda.

Those prices are new. Used, cut about 1/4 off the prices. If you want to buy a used machine, that's fine. Personally, I prefer new IF YOU PLAN ON KEEPING IT. Don't buy new and then take the hit on depreciation when you sell it a year later. I would also recommend NOT getting a new scooter if he's never ridden a motorcycle before. He's going to drop it. Everybody does. New bikes hurt more when you drop them.

Anything above 50cc requires a full motorcycle endorsement. If your state requires training, your son would have to do that as well. I would recommend he take one anyway. Training is always good. Also, I recommend a full face helmet and full riding gear. Why? Because 50mph on a scooter and 50mph on a crotch rocket hurt exactly the same. And scooters can kill you just as fast.

I hope this helps!

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I live in Europe so my opinion is based on other factors than it would be if I was back in the States.

That being said, my favorites, Vespa & Aprilia! :cool:

I don't know if you can still get them in the States, but you can't go wrong with one of these Hondas, the best selling scooter in the world for over 35 years. 70-110cc. I had one (tuned) for a short while in the late 70's, could do 2mile long weelies. :D You have to trim the rear fender though. That more than made up for the less than stylish looks.

629113.jpg

Not very sexy looking, but you got room for your girl on the back. :D

All the benefits of a scooter, but none of the negative handling issues.

Also buy a young nice used one, and save yourself the big depreciation hit.

... and as has already been mentioned ...

I have a friend that sells Chinese Outboards, Scooters, and ATV's. If you love your son, don't buy him one!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

The reason I would say stay away from Vespa is that they are a fancy name...

...Anything above 50cc requires a full motorcycle endorsement.

Well maybe Vespa is a fancy name but they are cool scooters. Check out a pic of mine below ('73 Sprint VLB150). Found it in a junkyard (it had been there since 1975, originally used by Charleston Police Parking Meter Division per the sticker that was still on it), and paid $75 for it. Completely rebuilt it for about $800, drove it for three years, and sold it for $3200.

The cc limit must vary by state. In SC, 125cc is the limit before MC endorsement is required...

Attachments

• MB Vespa.JPG
    MB Vespa.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have an old SunL, no idea age, of cc. had it on one of the boats years ago. got it out, drained the tank. it fired right up. electric start. gets me to the stores, etc, on back roads. in the last 2 months i have burnt 2 gallon of gas, the tank only holds 1 1/2 quart.

Attachments

• Sun L scooter 001.JPG
    Sun L scooter 001.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 0

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 1987 nb50 moped out back that I was thinking about restoring, I bought it for $25. It does need allot of work though, it is a long ways from running. I was supposed to of gotten 2 other mopeds for working on a mans 4 wheeler but never got them :mad:. I have seen some others around for $350 a little while back but nothing as of recently.

One of our Honda shops has been advertising a scooter that gets 100mpg. Surprisingly I have seen allot more motorcycles then I have seen scooters. I think here in Alabama a 14 year old can get a motorcycle license and operate up to a 250cc motorcycle.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

i have an old SunL, no idea age, of cc. had it on one of the boats years ago. got it out, drained the tank. it fired right up. electric start. gets me to the stores, etc, on back roads. in the last 2 months i have burnt 2 gallon of gas, the tank only holds 1 1/2 quart.

Careful TD....if you hit a rock or a bump you might get stuck or have an accident. Seriously though it is a neat little scooter.

FLATHEAD

Commander

I had a cool old 53 cushman Eagle. Sadly it went with the rest of the collection.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I bought a 49cc scooter two years go and love it. It probably gets 80mpg. Its a 2006 TNG Venice. I derestricted it and I am able to get 45mph easy on flat land (which is crazy since I am a pretty big dude).

I paid $700 for it from a guy at work who had won it in a raffle. In this state you have to have a valid drivers license and a motorcycle license if above 49cc. Its a blast to drive. I probably look silly on it, but its still fun.

V49_blu3.jpg

waterinthefuel

Commander

The TNG is a knock-off of the 50cc Yamaha Vino. And like I'd said above, Vespa is a fancy name. That's what you're paying for. As far as reliability, its no better, and in some cases worse, than a scooter from one of the big 3.

Nobody looks silly getting 90+mpg.

Pony

Rear Admiral

The TNG is a knock-off of the 50cc Yamaha Vino.

Yup.......almost identical. If not for the name plate I doubt I could tell the difference. Good point on the 90mpg thing ;) I bet if I lost 50lbs I could really fly.........stupid football player physique.

On a side note.........I noticed much better performance using higher octane gas in the scooter. I have had it for two winters and haven't done anything in terms of winterizing.......so far a battery charge is all I have had to do, otherwise she starts and runs perfect every time.

Also I am almost positive these are the scooters from SCRUBS

waterinthefuel

Commander

I don't know why your little scoot would run better on high octane. Like I'd said in another thread, octane is simply a resistance to knocking in a high compression engine. High octane fuel in a low octane rated engine is a waste of money and gas, as the mileage will go down slightly.

If the manual states 87 octane or 91RON then anything more than 87 regular is pouring money down the toilet. In fact, the lower octane, the more power the fuel has. Unfortunately, these little scooter engines want to knock with low octane fuel so it's not feasible to use a 70 octane or the like.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I don't know why your little scoot would run better on high octane. Like I'd said in another thread, octane is simply a resistance to knocking in a high compression engine. High octane fuel in a low octane rated engine is a waste of money and gas, as the mileage will go down slightly.

If the manual states 87 octane or 91RON then anything more than 87 regular is pouring money down the toilet. In fact, the lower octane, the more power the fuel has. Unfortunately, these little scooter engines want to knock with low octane fuel so it's not feasible to use a 70 octane or the like.

Yup I know how that all works.......comes up in outboard threads all the time. My scoot is rated for 91 octane or higher. High Octane here is 93.....it was noticeably better than 87.

But at least at a gallon only for a fill up its only $.20

waterinthefuel

Commander

If it's rated for 91 (make sure it doesn't say 91RON, as thats 87 regular) then yea, you have to run the high octane. I'm surprised, not even the Hayabusa requires anything but regular.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

The reason I would say stay away from Vespa is that they are a fancy name, powerful scooter for their size and very expensive.

In Europe the Vespa or Aprilla products are like Harley Davidson in the States. I guess you could also say Harley Davidson is just a fancy name. You can buy Harley Davidson copies from all the big Japanese/India/Chinese companies, and some are really pretty nice & reliable. No real need to buy a Harley anymore.

Maybe your right we should all just bypass the originals, and go for the cheaper copies.

Sooner or latter they will all be built in China leaving us no choice, the Japanese models included. We all might as well just speed this process up and buy only “Made in China”, or?

Back to scooters, if we are going to base this all on price, the scooters are all way over priced.

A smaller motorcycle is the much safer, cheaper alternative any day of the week.

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sooner or latter they will all be built in China leaving us no choice, the Japanese models included. We all might as well just speed this process up and buy only ?Made in China?, or?

Not to go off topic but you would be amazed how many "japanese" bikes are made in china.Lots are made in other countries as well.....

mscher

Lieutenant

Anybody know anything about the Honda Metropolitan? Got a line on a used one for $800.

Thanks