OMC trim questions???

oldyota

Cadet
Its a OMC 800 stringer outdrive with the hydraulic ram setup. Currently I can hit the button and it will run then stop mid stream, then it won't do anything until I turn the key off and turn back on... It does it while going up & down.. So it is working intermittently then just stops.. I can hear the solenoids clicking while pressing the buttons up and down.. So I'm ruling out the solenoids and thinking its the motor, or brushes in the motor. Does the system have some sort of overheat/thermal protection on it? Anyone else have this problem??? Can I just replace the motor or do I have to replace the entire pump unit?

Thanks

oldyota

Cadet
Re: OMC trim questions???

Sorry about that 1985 OMC 5.7, can I replace the brushes?? At a loss here needing some help???

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

You are talking about the TRIM and not the TILT correct? IIRC the motor does have a thermal cutout in the end plate. If you let it sit for a few minutes(maybe 3-5), without turning the key off, then try the switch does it work again? The motor isn't hard to pull apart and check. I rebuilt both my trim and tilt motors. May have worn brushes or corroded parts. Brushes are available. On one of mine there was a small ball bearing that sat on the end of the shaft between the shaft and the end plate. Mine was just a little blob of rust.

WizeOne

Commander

I still don't get the "hydraulic ram setup", 800's did not have that. I thought that the optional 800 style trim system was a worm gear that tilted the whole engine and outdrive assy. Wasn't it sometime in '85 that they switched to the cobra style?

oldyota

Cadet

Wizeone, OMC switched to cobra style outdrive in 1986 and any style stringer outdrive has two systems, Trim and Tilt... The trim system is raises and lowers the motor and outdrive.. The tilt system is for mainly trailering or getting out of swallow water in an emergency...

This question pertains to the trim system only... I see the thermal relay on the diagram but I can't seem to find it... Are you saying that it is built internally in the motor??? Either way I'm pulling it apart and replacing the brushes... Thanks again....

chiefalen

Captain

in 1986 they did switch over to cobra however mine is a 1986 stringer with the half moon and boot.they used out all there old stringer drives first,1985 was supposed to be the last year of the stringer.now to your problem.i would remove the entire front mount and electric motor and put it on the bench.they are notorious for messing up.thats y i never installed one i could have got for free as a matter a fact i can have 2 if i want them.there is a rubber boot on the screw take it off.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

I thnk he has the same hydraulic trim as I have. 2 rams that are where the motor mounts to the stringers, not the jackscrew type at the front. Like this:

trim1by1.jpg

The thermal cut-out is on the underside of the end plate #64 The ball bearing I mentioned before is circled in red #67.

chiefalen

Captain

your right i don't know y i thought it was a 400.crs i wish i can remember if i lost my mind haaaaa