Steering probs and uneven ride at speed

pathfinder

Recruit
Hi guys,

I've got an '81 18ft Beachcraft with a 200hp black max outboard. I just bought the boat and went for the maiden voyage the other day. Thankfully the motor ran well. However I noticed the steering was very stiff. I also noticed the boat sat level in the water when stationary however when at speed it leaned quite a bit to the port side which would affect steering as the boat wouldn't bank properly as she seemed to be port side heavy. I think the bilge is working fine, didn't seem to be much water down there. Help!

Thanks!

boatboy11

Recruit
Re: Steering probs and uneven ride at speed

Our 21' Tracker Tundra has the same problem. My hunch is that it is from the torque of the 5 blade prop on the 225hp Merc. the blades are at quite an angle to. Maybe thats true in your situation too??

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class

pathfinder, do you have trim tabs?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

disconnect the steering arm at the motor, and see which is stiff. the cable or the motor. i'm betting cable especially if original.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

TD

That would be my guess too.

pathfinder

Recruit

I don't have trim tabs on the boat.

Thanks for the advice on the steering guys!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

behind the prop,there is a fin shaped anadode,when you look up at the anadode you will see marks radiating from center (12o'clock) to 45 degrees on eather side.this is to offset prop torque,adjust as necessary to offset torque,boat pulls to left..adjust right....pulls to right..adjust left..go at 1 mark intervals till its corrected.And if the anadode is pitted & worn looking...replace,there cheap.

ziggy

Admiral

do ya have yer load inside the boat distributed evenly? my boat is pretty weight sensitive regaurding load and tilts one direction or the other with the load.

sounds like yer stiff steering is in both directions. so have to agree with td too.

note on trim tab adj..... steers easier to port, adj. trailing edge to port, steers easier to starboard, adj. trailing edge to starboard....

trim-tab.gif

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 89 Charger DL with a 150 Blackmax. Steering is not stiff at low speeds or idle but stiff at higher speeds. Does yours do this aswell or is it always stiff? if always then tds advice is good to follow

pathfinder

Recruit

Thanks guys!

Kev144, it is stiff all the time however it is more stiff when at speed.