GM closing 4 truck plants. No more Hummer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Michigan got spared. Story here, majority of text below...

DETROIT -- Michigan dodged a bullet Tuesday when General Motors Corp. announced a restructuring that will close four truck plants elsewhere. In fact, the state could gain jobs producing more fuel-efficient cars.
Analysts believe GM's future depends on whether it can profitably sell cars instead of depending so heavily on truck and SUV sales, something that GM and other domestic automakers have struggled to do.
"The direct answer is -- we need to," GM Chairman Rick Wagoner said in a news conference Tuesday following the automaker's annual stockholders' meeting in Wilmington, Del.
Wagoner said plants slated to close over the next two years produce trucks and SUVs in Oshawa, Ont.; Janesville, Wis.; Moraine, Ohio and Toluca, Mexico. The closings will affect about 10,000 jobs.
The good news for Michigan: GM will add a third shift to an assembly plant in Lake Orion, north of Detroit, and will start producing four-cylinder engines in Flint.
Additionally, GM said its board of directors approved production of the much-hyped Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid for late 2010. GM said it has "preliminary plans" to build the Volt at its Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant.
"That's very good news because Michigan really needs to diversify away from producing bigger vehicles," said Erich Merkle, an auto industry analyst at Grand Rapids-based IRN Inc.
Michigan suppliers shouldn't be hurt by the assembly plant closings in other states because they've already taken the hit from reduced production in those plants, Merkle said.
Work at the four plants due to close in 2009 and 2010 will be shifted to GM's remaining truck plants, he predicted, including those in Flint and Pontiac.
"They're doing exactly what they should be doing," said James McTevia, president of McTevia and Associates, a business turnaround consulting firm in Bingham Farms. "It's simply a matter of good common sense that GM's management has decided to stop spending cash to support products that aren't selling."
In addition, GM said it is reviewing the the Hummer SUV brand and may sell it off. Hummer was once considered one of GM's most promising brands but it has become a symbol of gas-guzzling excess in an era of $4-a-gallon gasoline.
"This is tough stuff," Wagoner said. "This is about how the market has changed and we have to adapt to it."
Wagoner said the downsizing will cut GM's costs by $1 billion. It lost $3.3 billion in the first quarter of this year.
High gasoline prices are prompting GM to make a fundamental shift to produce more cars and fewer trucks. Wagoner said cars will account for about 60 percent of its production in three years, up from about 50 percent now...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: GM closing 4 truck plants. No more Hummer??

saw it on the news. September those high priced gas hog boats are going to be for sale everywhere.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Yep. I wonder what the long term effects will be. I think their highest margins are on their biggest vehicles...

I hate to see any AMERICAN lose his/her job. Bad news yesterday Windebago closed one plant and fired almost 300 people.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I hate to see any AMERICAN lose his/her job. Bad news yesterday Windebago closed one plant and fired almost 300 people.

Winnebago closing? I guess of all the types of vehicles out there that there might be a decline in manufacturing in, RV's might very well top the list? :(
Here in Canada there has been a news stories regarding people parking and/or selling off their RV's/motorhomes because of the fuel costs.
Undoubtedly the demand may be shrinking.:eek:
BP

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

GM is going to offer Hummer for sale but no takers are expected at this point.

Ford is putting 3000 salaried employees on "forced resignation" (that's political speak for "fired") Also closing 2000 dealerships over the next 3 years.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I never did quite understand what the attraction was that some folks have for the Hummer, however it is sad when people lose their jobs.

Perhaps they should have made them all with modern diesel engines.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I also hate to see any americans lose their jobs. However, Hummer kinda is a symbol of everything wrong with the american auto industry and I will not be sad to see it go.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

GM is going to offer Hummer for sale but no takers are expected at this point.

Ford is putting 3000 salaried employees on "forced resignation" (that's political speak for "fired") Also closing 2000 dealerships over the next 3 years.

They will all be imported from China within the next decade, and we will all be lining up to buy them with bottle caps, the rate at which we're going, the dollar would not be an acceptable currency to the future paymasters.:(

Bigprairie1

Commander

Now this is the way to go even with Diesel currently/slightly more expensive. Diesel technology right now is really moving along for power and mileage results.:cool:
On the 'up' side supposedly GM has developed a mid-size Diesel for the truck line that will be coming out in late 09'. From what I recall its about 5+ litres and puts out 310hp and about 500lb-ft torque. The bigger news tho' is that it's gas consumption will be something in the mid 20's (25mpg?) which is good news. It will supposedly be offered in the Denali to start (...why not the pick ups? and particularly 1500 1/2 tons?...maybe the year after?).
Basically this new Diesel will have the same power output as the first generation 6.6 Duramax engines (01-03') but give an extra 10mpg.
Anywhooo, in my opinion this kind of development and thinking is in the right direction for staying 'flush' in the emerging vehicle market.
I can hardly wait!!:D:)
BP:)

mscher

Lieutenant

I never did quite understand what the attraction was that some folks have for the Hummer, however it is sad when people lose their jobs.

Americans have always had an obsession for land yachts, almost since the model T. If bigger was better, then HUGE must be a really good thing.

American auto makers were more than happy to feed this obsession, with high profit gas guzzers, having ALL of the options, creating status symbols out of huge hunks of iron.

Their size dipped a bit in the 70's when folks started buying Toyotas, to combat the high OPEC oil prices of that period. U.S. automakers, practically had to have a gun pointed to their head, to start producing low profit "economy" cars, producing such gems as the Pinto, Vega and Omni.

With the fuel price drops of the 80's, it was back to business as usual, with big iron and has continued until recent years. It was not uncommon to see a soccer mom shoe-horning a Ford F350 FWD into a too small malll parking space.

Maybe this is the final death-knell for the Americam metal monster.

Knot Waiting

Now this is the way to go even with Diesel currently/slightly more expensive. Diesel technology right now is really moving along for power and mileage results.:cool:
On the 'up' side supposedly GM has developed a mid-size Diesel for the truck line that will be coming out in late 09'. From what I recall its about 5+ litres and puts out 310hp and about 500lb-ft torque. The bigger news tho' is that it's gas consumption will be something in the mid 20's (25mpg?) which is good news. It will supposedly be offered in the Denali to start (...why not the pick ups? and particularly 1500 1/2 tons?...maybe the year after?).
Basically this new Diesel will have the same power output as the first generation 6.6 Duramax engines (01-03') but give an extra 10mpg.
Anywhooo, in my opinion this kind of development and thinking is in the right direction for staying 'flush' in the emerging vehicle market.
I can hardly wait!!:D:)
BP:)

I haven't heard anything about GM comming out with a mid-size diesel (I know they are trying to aquire the Cummings account that Chrysler lost in the Dailmer Benz ordeal) Ford however will be dropping a 4.5l diesel F-150 in 2009 that was developed and produced by Land Rover before the sale to Tata motors.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I know a guy who owns about 20 convenience stores and an H2 Hummer ..... even he got rid of that gas guzzler!

bekosh

Lieutenant

Maybe this is the final death-knell for the Americam metal monster.
Only if the American people have decided that they want to shoehorn them selves into tiny shoeboxes.

The US automakers built the big metal monsters because that is what we wanted to buy.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Tata motors.
I love Bodacious Tatas . . . :eek: :D

Manufacturers make what people buy. To consider the H2 and H3 in the same breath as an H1 is kinda misleading as well. The H1 is entirely based on the Humvee, and was desired by people with money that wanted a Bodacious off-road vehicle. Sounds kinda like a boat to me . . . On the other hand, the H2 is simply ridiculous, but again, made because some people buy ridiculous stuff. The fact is, that it is a Yukon with a less aerodynamic and heavier skin . . .

BTW, diesels are defintitely more efficient on a BTU for BTU basis. But if you want to compare them honestly with Gasoline power, you have to recognise that the fuel is 15% more costly (or more), and it contains around 15% more energy. Soooo, if you achieve only 15% better mileage you have actually lost money due to the higher initial purchase cost. I love diesels, they have been my entire career, but facts is facts . . . When diesel was sold at the same or lower pricing as compared to a unit of gasoline, then they made even more sense. The fact is that a diesel can usually meet or exceed the energy "efficiency" of a Gasoline Hybrid. But you must state your goals here. Per gallon mileage? Misleading. Greenhouse gasses? Favors diesel. Economy? If all things are considered, total owning and operating costs over say a 5 year period, I don't think most diesels will actually give you a return on the sizable initial investment. Priced the same, then go diesel, but $2,000 or $10,000 more can buy a lot of gasoline, even at today's prices . . .

Knot Waiting

The US automakers built the big metal monsters because that is what we wanted to buy.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Sales are driven by demand. The F-150 out selling popular midsize cars says something.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

QC The H2 is actually on a 2500 3/4 ton chassis..... the H3 is on the Colorado Chassis.

The Hummers share many parts except the body and interiors.

+1 I do like the H1 with the diesel. They were designed to keep up with the battle.

I will not miss the Hummer as a "civilian vehicle" .........

QC

Supreme Mariner

QC The H2 is actually on a 2500 3/4 ton chassis.....
Really, I thought it was a 1/2 ton with the 6.0 . . . I stand corrected.

Edit: I did a little Googling and got stuff like this: "The new H2 uses the chassis of GM's Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon wagons for a foundation, with multiple mechanical components including a humongous 6.0-liter V8 engine, borrowed from full-size Chevrolet-GMC trucks." I am just curious now. Where'd you see 3/4 ton. What about wheel lug count? Are they 6 or 8?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Americans have always had an obsession for land yachts, almost since the model T. If bigger was better, then HUGE must be a really good thing.

American auto makers were more than happy to feed this obsession, with high profit gas guzzers, having ALL of the options, creating status symbols out of huge hunks of iron.

Maybe this is the final death-knell for the American metal monster.

Yah, far be it from any other auto manufacture to produce products to "feed this obsession, with high profit gas guzzers, having ALL of the options, creating status symbols out of huge hunks of iron. ":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mercedes: 2007 GL450, a seven-seat, all-wheel-drive sport-utility powered by a 335-horsepower V8

Toyota: The largest SUV in the Toyota lineup, the full-size Sequoia is designed to accommodate families who need three real rows of seating, a fair amount of off-road capability and the ability to tow a boat or other toy trailer

Nissan Armada: Fuel mileage is atrocious, and the vehicle's size means that parking can easily become a white-knuckle ordeal.

Mazda:The 2008 Mazda CX-9 is a full size crossover

Lexus LX 470 The LX 470 is a full-size luxury version of the Toyota Land Cruiser SUV.

The Infiniti QX56 comes with a smooth V8 that offers ample power. SUV buyers crave roomy cabins and the QX56's fits the bill, with spacious second and third rows. Towing capacity is impressive, and the QX56 is also one of the better full-size luxury SUVs on the market in terms of acceleration and agile handling.

Shall I continue........

mscher

Lieutenant

Yah, far be it from any other auto manufacture to produce products to "feed this obsession, with high profit gas guzzers, having ALL of the options, creating status symbols out of huge hunks of iron. ":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mercedes: 2007 GL450, a seven-seat, all-wheel-drive sport-utility powered by a 335-horsepower V8

Toyota: The largest SUV in the Toyota lineup, the full-size Sequoia is designed to accommodate families who need three real rows of seating, a fair amount of off-road capability and the ability to tow a boat or other toy trailer

Nissan Armada: Fuel mileage is atrocious, and the vehicle's size means that parking can easily become a white-knuckle ordeal.

Mazda:The 2008 Mazda CX-9 is a full size crossover

Lexus LX 470 The LX 470 is a full-size luxury version of the Toyota Land Cruiser SUV.

The Infiniti QX56 comes with a smooth V8 that offers ample power. SUV buyers crave roomy cabins and the QX56's fits the bill, with spacious second and third rows. Towing capacity is impressive, and the QX56 is also one of the better full-size luxury SUVs on the market in terms of acceleration and agile handling.

Shall I continue........

Not necessary. ;)

I was mostly referring to the model years 1908 though about 1990, when most of the American vehicles were fairly large. Until around 1990, most foreign cars were fairly small.

Since then, all manufacturers have gotten in on big iron, as you have stated, but a big difference is that the foreign manufacturers did not bet the farm, on the larger vechicles and therefore are doing a little better than the "big" three.

Status
Not open for further replies.