New Boat, what will I "NEED" to purchase to be functional?

Tredeb

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New Boat, what will I "NEED" to purchase to be functional?

Not a purchase item, but as far as i'm concerned, it is a must do. You need to get everyone comfortable with floating in their life jackets (especially young kids) and boarding the boat without help. Anyone who is not wearing their lifejacket 100% of the time should be able to put it on in the water. This may seem like not a big deal, but if you are incapacitated and your kids can't put your ladder down on their own or your wife cannot board without you help(not as uncommon as you may think), a simple mishap may turn into a big deal in a hurry.

You don't have to make a big deal out of it, just make sure everyone is capable(including your 3 yr old) when you go out tubing for the first time.

And remember, it is not your wife's fault(even if it is) when things go wrong at the launch. It can be high stress the first few times and everyone has seen those guys flipping out. I used to have issues with my wife when I would repeat my launch/load checklist. Make sure she knows that you don't think she is stupid, you just want to make sure things, like plugs or tiedowns are not forgotten.

Happy boating

hotwls13

Seaman

Those #'s were just created in my head. I haven't been to the dealers store yet to price these. Just ball-parking it.

I know when I was looking for a vest for my Jet-Ski, the good neoprene ones started at like $65 and went up from there.

I don't know that I even want neoprene as it was hot and heavy compared to the non-neoprene.

I like the Slippery brand of vests, what do you guys like?

Also, I will have the kids wearing vests at all times, but adults won't be wearing unless they are in the water.

hotwls13

Seaman

And remember, it is not your wife's fault(even if it is) when things go wrong at the launch. It can be high stress the first few times and everyone has seen those guys flipping out. I used to have issues with my wife when I would repeat my launch/load checklist. Make sure she knows that you don't think she is stupid, you just want to make sure things, like plugs or tiedowns are not forgotten.

Happy boating

Haha, I know what you mean. When we had our Jet-Ski, we were out for around the 3rd or 4th time and at a new boat launch. I pretty much had to do everything myself as far as launching up to that point. The ramp was really busy and me being new I was probably taking a little longer (though I was prepared and ready for launch). Anyway, after I got the ski off the trailer, my wife say's "I'll move the truck and trailer up out of the way". She was obviously feeling the pressure from the other impatient boaters. Problem was, she failed to notice the HUGE curb on the passenger side of the truck (this was the side she got out on and probably stepped onto that HUGE curb to get out. Anyway, she pulls the truck forward and almost immediately turns to the right. The back wheel of the truck goes up on this HUGE curb and she slams the brakes. Did i mention this curb was HUGE!!! Of course I semi lose it. Something to the efeect of "What the HELL are you doing?". As you can imagine, that comment didn't go over too well and I regret saying anything. Thankfully nothing was damaged and we had an OK day on the water (she was pissed at me most of the day). To this day she almost refuses to drive my truck at all, let alone pull a trailer out of the water.

I'll have to get her comfortable with doing one or the other or both eventually. ;)

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the vest $ is way high get a good one for the kids but don't go too nuts as they will probably grow out of them pretty quick. The anchor seems high depending on what type you go with. I didnt see a ski rope any where and does your boat have a center mount rope hook? if not might want to pick up a bridle. Orange flag is required, kids in jackets when on land before getting on dock. Check out the first aid kit you get with the cg kit might want to bolster it up a bit. Lots of sun block, the depth guage is awesome to have esp if you can swing a fish finder with a depth guage built in. Have a bunch of bow lines I like a couple on each side of the boat that way they are handy which ever side I come in on. Definately bumpers/fenders it is a new boat and you need to do everything possible to keep it that way. Possibly get some ducky or similar product to wipe boat down with after use. If you don't have a marine radio make sure your cell is fully charged and gets service where you boat. Always a good idea to toss out a jacket/vest and practice pulling the rope around to it, when a skier is in the water is not the time to learn. Above all be safe if in question AT ALL shut the motor off until you KNOW everything is clear then resume. Have fun congrats on the new boat......

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot on my above post to mention, I ALWAYS buy a few extra drain plugs they aren't that much money and can save a day boating. put one on or by the boat key to help remind you to put it in.

hotwls13

Seaman

The anchor seems high depending on what type you go with. I didnt see a ski rope any where and does your boat have a center mount rope hook? if not might want to pick up a bridle.

What anchor would you guys recommend for my small 17' boat? Do you guys also use a Beach anchor? When close to the beach (not beached) I think I would prefer the boat to be pointed away from the beach, with anchor off of bow and beach anchor off the rear.

Center mount rope hook? Do you mean the hook in the back for towing a wakeboard/tuber? If so, yes my boat has that, but it also has a wakeboard tower, so we will be pulling from the tower.

EDIT: Or will we? I was just reading in the Wakeboard area that you are not supposed to pull a tube with the tower? I guess it's too much stress?

What do you guys think?

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it has the hook in the rear use that to pull tubes. Ask the dealer what he reccomends I have always heard NOT to pull tubes from a tower. The anchor you choose kind of depends on what the lake or river bottom is where you generally boat. Is it rocky, sandy, muddy, lots of water plants etc. If you know the bottom it helps to indentify which anchor would best suit your needs. Couple other things to look at, 3M makes a keel guard that you can install yourself, in my opinion a very good investment especially on a new boat. Not that you would but you could beach without damage if you had one on, if the beaches are sandy I beach right up on and never have an issue with damage. I have also seen people use a piece of astro turf with some rubber weights on one end then you can pull up onto the piece of turf without contacting the beach surface plus you can wipe your feet before entering the new rig ha ha ...

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tell me if you guys think these prices sound about right. Remember this is at the Dealership store so prices are usually a bit more than you can get online.

Shopping List
1. Coast Guard Kit $150
2. Anchor $75
3. Vests for the 4 of us $300
4. Tube with rope $150
5. Cover $150
-(Just canvas cover for sitting on the side of my house)
6. Wakeboard $150

Total $975+tax

Wow, this stuff adds up fast!! I still haven't purchased any boat upgrades such as depth/fish/gps, trim tabs etc etc.

My $150 coast guard kit included everything necesarry to make the boat legal to run including 4 vests, anchor, 100' anchor line, mooring ropes, flares, whistle, horn, fire extenguisher, and a few other items. I wouldn't pay more than $150-180 for a kit like I describe. If they won't give you that price you can get a kit from Overtons, Cabellas, Bass pro, or West marine to name a few in the range I quoted.

hotwls13

Seaman

yeah, the coast guard kit is $150.

I went to Wal-mart after work and they had the following:

Stearns Neoprene Adult Life Jackets Type III $40
Stearns Kids Life Jackets Type III $10
Trailerable cover with 3yr warranty $60
Fenders $5
Anchor that looked like Danforth for $30

They had some other small items that may come in handy in the future.

Andy in NY

Commander

yeah, the coast guard kit is $150.

I went to Wal-mart after work and they had the following:

Stearns Neoprene Adult Life Jackets Type III $40
Stearns Kids Life Jackets Type III $10
Trailerable cover with 3yr warranty $60
Fenders $5
Anchor that looked like Danforth for $30

They had some other small items that may come in handy in the future.
I have bought several items related to the boat from wal mart, as my wife works there and we get 10% discount so it kind of makes sense. alot of the stuff is more than fine for the casual boater.

hotwls13

Seaman

OK, so i am streamlining my add-on list for when I go pick up my boat (hopefully Saturday).

1. Coast Guard Kit $150
2. Tube with rope $150 MAYBE Wait on this depending on selection

Maybe pick up some other small items.

I plan to purchase vests, cover and anchor at Wal-mart.

So, I am thinking some additional add-ons:

1. Depth Finder (not sure if I should just get the digital small guage or some sort of depth/fish combo unit). Is the fish finder worth it? I haven't done much fishing but I think it will be fun with the boat.

2. Smart Tabs (I just keep thinking I should wait to see how the boat does first, then decide).

Any other install type items you guys would recommend? Odds are I will not have the $$ for a long while to buy any big ticket items. I will be able to do some of the inexpensive stuff on my own (12v socket, Transom trim switch etc.).

We are going to wait on the Wakeboards until we are more comfortable with our boat. Hopefully that will still be within this season, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. :)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Depending on where you boat a second anchor may be in order. Remember if you loose power on the water your anchor and anchor line are your primary means of holding your boat in position. The last thing you want if broken down is to be at the mercy of the wind and current.:eek::eek:

As for the Tabs, I like your wait and evaluate approach.

Good luck.

hotwls13

Seaman

As for anchors, I think I will get a Danforth type. I will be boating on small inland lakes only. No ocean, no rivers. I also am going to get some sort of Beach anchor (I had a screw-in one for my Jet-ski). I like the boat to face away from shore with an anchor out front and a beach anchor in the rear. This way boarding should be easier as it's shallower.

hotwls13

Seaman

Fish Finder/Depth Guage:

Nothing too huge.

I was planning on adding a depth guage, but everywhere I look, they recommend getting a depth fishfinder combo.

What's a decent fishfinder for around $300? I don't need GPS (these lakes are small).

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have bought several items related to the boat from wal mart, as my wife works there and we get 10% discount so it kind of makes sense. alot of the stuff is more than fine for the casual boater.

My wife works their too, I love the 10% we get on stuff! I buy a lot of my boating things from wal mart. Some things you can not get, but for the most part they will have the essentials.

cordell