I feel pretty stupid, but at least my 4-wheeler works!

waterinthefuel

Commander
Friday afternoon I asked my father if he wanted to ride 4 wheelers for a bit. He said yes and when we went out to the bikes his started right up. Mine turned over and over, nothing, dead, not even a pop. I got off, checked the spark plug wire and was about to start pulling parts off to check stuff when he came over and asked why my handlebar emergency stop switch was in the "off" position. A quick flip to the "run" position and it purred like a kitten. It's an older 1991 model bike that doesn't have a lockout to keep the starter from trying to start it with the kill switch off. I'll post a photo of it in a bit.

I felt so stupid. I immediately jumped into it as having a really major issue when it ran fine the last time we parked it. Somehow the switch got bumped. Lesson: start simple and go from there. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the starter and on your ego. :rolleyes:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I feel pretty stupid, but at least my 4-wheeler works!

what ego, you have some left.

waterinthefuel

Commander

The offending machine, not too bad for a 91 model.

IMG_1482.jpg

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Haven't we all done that at least once? Even my 2004 model Rancher doesn't have a starter cut out when you push on the emergency kill.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nice little ride.

bhammer

Ensign

I won't admit it, :D but my wife will tell you that I have done the same thing with toys, including boats.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow that is pristine for a 91!

I have pair of Suzuki's and they are not that clean! This was taken on Mt Washington last summer......

DSCN2848.jpg

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

It happens. I almost ran the battery down on our Ford tractor tonight trying to get it started. After a few minutes of trying to figure out why it didn't start, I found that I forgot to turn the fuel valve on..... :D