UH OH! The boat is missing!

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
One weekend when we were young, my friends parents were gone. We had planned a long weekend camping trip (did it almost every weekend, so no big deal) on lake Texoma (Texas side).

They had an old aluminum V-Hull fishing boat with a recently blown motor. We asked another friends dad if we could use his motor and he said if we could get it to run, no problem. It had been setting up for a couple of years and he didn't have his little boat anymore.

One of the guys claimed to be a outboard expert and said he would go through it at the camp. So off we went to a as yet not decided camping location.

Launched the boat, and screwed around all day while our motor expert tinkered with the motor. We really didn't care if it ran or not, we were young, the weather was great, there were more girls on the beach than guys, and the fish were bitting in the small cove nearby.

As it got late, a really, really big, spring storm blew in, so we all retreated to our tents and held on tight.

The next morning I got up first and went for a early swim. I decided to go check how much water had filled the boat.

It was gone, no problem I thought, someone must of got it running early and took it for a test. Went from tent to tent waking everyone up to see who was missing. No one was missing!

UH OH! :eek:

Who tied the boat up last night?

Well to make a long story short the boat had been tied to a long no longer used water line that came out of the ground made a loop and went back in the ground, he thought. The storm had washed part of the bank away and one end of water line was now free.

Well we sat there like idiots, wonder how hard the beatings were going to be, for over a half a day. We were sure the boat had sunk. It was just a little 12footer and the lake had been nasty and mean that night.

At about 2PM two Sheriffs cars pulled up with blinking lights, along with my friends family that owned the boat, and several other parents in their cars. They had tracked us down by going from one camping ground to the next, starting at the Denison Dam, this was about camp groung number 50.

His parents had driven at 120MPH for several hours back from their relatives after receiving a call from my friends sister, who had recieved a call from a Sheriff in Oklahoma and was told their boat had been found and we were all missing.

During the night the boat had worked itself loose, filled half full with water, lost the motor somewhere, and made a 150 mile trip alone, to Oklahoma, and washed up on a beach with fishing tackle, life jackets still in it...

...but no one in sight. :eek:

They sent out a "all points bulletin” and had already started searching for bodies. :eek:

Needless to say they were real happy we were found alive, and we never went out again without leaving detailed instructions as to exactly where we were going.

I still feel bad for that one.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: UH OH! The boat is missing!

Glad everyone was in one piece and O.K.
This story should let everyone know just how important it is to let someone know your plans before you head out.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Glad everyone was in one piece and O.K.
This story should let everyone know just how important it is to let someone know your plans before you head out.

I think if this event has a moral, that would be it.

Just like filing a “flight plan” when flying, letting friends & family know where you are going when boating, can save a lot of grief when things go wrong.

We did, just not those contacted by the responding authorities.

I had a lot of freedom when I was young, as long as I didn't take advantage of it. I had checked in once we had found a camping spot. My dad knew exactly where we were, but he was not one of those contacted. He found out what happened from me after the fact.

Unfortunately not all my friends had this kind of arrangement with their parents, and often misinformed them.

I felt really bad for some of these parents. They had already accepted the worst.

What happened to us, was also a long line of unexpected circumstances. It was a holiday weekend, and most of the camp grounds were full, causing us to go to one we would have normally not gone to, a violent unexpected (although tornadoes are common for this area during the spring) storm blew in, and, and ...

There were also some questions at the time by the Sheriffs involved, concerning the missing motor. How did the storm manage to knock it off the transom, while at the same time the life jackets and fishing tackle manage to survive the the ghost trip of over a 150 miles? Could it have been stolen during the storm on the Texas side of the lake, or after grounding, on the Oklahoma side? Were there people involved, or was this really just a freak act of nature.

The motor went on a list for being possible stolen, but never did turn up.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great story. Glad all (most) made it through okay.
It's called a Float Plan. I leave word with someone as to when to begin worrying and call them when I'm back ashore.
There is an actual formal 'Plan' that can be copied and filled out to be left with family or marina. Not sure where to find it now. I think the USCGAux can provide it.
Another safety item.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I leave word with someone as to when to begin worrying and call them when I'm back ashore.

Thanks for the comment INJUN.

We use the same method as you and not just when boating. We call it “worry time”, or, what time do I need to start to worry.

Time has a way of taking the edge off life's little experiences. It doesn't seem so dramatic after all these years, but it was a learning experience. Live and learn.

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great story. Glad all (most) made it through okay.
It's called a Float Plan. I leave word with someone as to when to begin worrying and call them when I'm back ashore.
There is an actual formal 'Plan' that can be copied and filled out to be left with family or marina. Not sure where to find it now. I think the USCGAux can provide it.
Another safety item.

Try this link. It's the USCG-approved one we use here in NH.;)

http://www.boat-ed.com/images/pdfs/float_plan.pdf