Road Sealer on white gelcoat

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Evening gents, going down the highway last week we ran over some road tar,
freshly laid sealing cracks and coated a good portion of my boat trailer and truck. i've been gasoline and WD-40 but stopped because the area I was removing sort of discolored the gel coat. The gel coat is 20 years old but hull is in above average condition and had a good wax on. Kero or Diesel I hear works ok to remove the rest but what will restore the gelcoat to blazing white again?

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Road Sealer on white gelcoat

I have always used the bug / tar remover from the local auto parts store. It would take all traces away, including the residual stain on the gelcoat. If that doesn't work, maybe a good light rubbing compound may work.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

If you're still having a problem removing the residual tar get a product called On & Off. Made by Mary Kate. Can be found at WM - even saw it at Bass Pro Shop. Please read the directions CAREFULLY - it's some pretty potent stuff. If that doesn't take it off nothing will.

MikDee

Banned

I've found that Vaseline disolves road tar, without using any harsh chemicals, or causing any problems, (it works better in the heat or sun) in fact it will restore the color, & sheen on your trailer, car paint, or older boat. Also, once it fully dries (it may take awhile) you can wax, or polish right over it if need be.

LubeDude

Admiral

I'm feeling that it is not actually getting the tar off, it's the yellow stain that is left over, am I right?

Gel coat is porous, especially old gel coat. This sounds harsh, but it may be your only option.

After the main tar is removed, wipe the area with acetone. (Yers this is a hash chemical but it evaporates fast and will remove the oils from the tar)!

Then soak a rag with a 50/50 mixture of household bleach and water and wipe over the effected area keeping it wet. If this is going to work you will see results in a few minutes. Then wash with plenty of water and rewax.

Coors

Captain

Try Magic Eraser, groc store, walmart.

DDAADDYY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm about 1/4 done and have found Naptha ie camping gas to work best. It removes the tar like gas but doesn't stain gelcoat as bad as gasoline. Knowing I'll need to rebuild the finish in that area already, I'm goin' in with Naptha. will post before during and after pics for your comments and advice. Thanks again wow elbow's sore

Last edited: