Thinking about a 22' Scarab...opinions please

ksims1868

Cadet
I've come across a 1989 22' Scarab w/ Mercruiser 350.

The boat looks and sounds nice. I'm going for a demo ride Saturday. But I am pretty unfamiliar with Scarabs or I/O boats in general. I've owned CC fishing boats with outboard motors for the last few years, and I'm comfortable on the water...just not so familiar with the sport-class boats.

We don't fish anymore and do more cruising around the lake as a family and swimming most of all.

Let me know what you folks know about boats like this...to help me decide.

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Thinking about a 22' Scarab...opinions please

welcome to iboats. the I/O requires much more maintenance. bellows, cables, outdrive service. Great Boat.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Those small Scarabs with a SBC are awesome boats. Decent GPH, high speed, usually thru hull exhaust and can be found for under $10k. Very good reputation. Check with your insurance guy first to make sure the premiums will be reasonable.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

She will be the most fun you can have with your pants on, i've owned 3 from a Nova (predecessor to the Scarab) then a 22 now a 32' great boats,comfortable ride,well built. Be careful take your time to get used to the power,its easy to launch over a 4' wave and land wrong,also fun is going full-tilt-boogie and cranking the wheel over full port or starboard,these boats track like there on rails.....Here's my newest honey -
1999_38_scarab_500_efi_1.jpg

ksims1868

Cadet

Awesome. This is the feedback I was hoping to get about these boats.

Now I can't wait to go check it out Saturday.

Is there REALLY enough room for 6 people to ride around comfortably?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welllll, figure two bolsters, then a short bench in back, 5 people comfortably, 6 is pushing it. but if there all women except yourself then 6 is good.:D:D:D

ksims1868

Cadet

Usually it's my wife, myself and 1-2 other of her girlfriends. Maybe us and another couple...with a couple kids, so rarely will there ever be more than 5 adults.

I keep looking at bow-riders and I KNOW there is more room and it would be more comfortable...but the bow-riders lack the sleek, raw, sex-appeal look (let's be honest...it's true) that the Scarab has.

ksims1868

Cadet

Any other opinions before I go buy this thing tomorrow?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check the hours, figure these boats need overhaul at about 700 - 800 hrs depending on how hard there run,also look for lower unit/skeg damage,evidence of running into things means an unskilled operator = trouble.
also i check the motor mounts , risers and entire exhaust manifold system, raise the outdrive all the way up..look at the rubber hose,bellows- (3" diameter) running back into transom,make sure its not dryrotted and is flexible...smell the oil,shouldn't smell burnt or gassy.bring a ball peen hammer and tap the stringers supporting the motor,should sound SOLID.when running her..from a dead stop..firewall the throttle...and keep it there,till about 4600rpm,motor shouldnt pop or break-up/hesitate.do that a couple of times, run the hell out of it,if the seller objects..walk away.
These are hellafied boats,mine is overpowered by 300hp per engine,i'm running 454BB bored & stroked,w/alot of other goodies,dyno'ed she pushes 1400hp.and ive not had the hull modified,thats how well the Scarabs are made,and meant to be run. Good Luck tomorrow Amigo !!!!!

ksims1868

Cadet

Wanted to update you all on my purchase of this '89 Scarab Excel in 2008. It was an AWESOME purchase. Definitely a great boat and a lot of fun. I sold it a few months ago and just picked up a little bigger boat - 27' Excalibur Speedster. I just picked it up last weekend. Had a brand new 502 put in (with some power enhancements) and hopefully will be able to get her in the water in a couple weeks when it warms up around here (Houston area). Thanks for the great advice on the Scarab. Hopefully I can have as much luck out of this Excalibur as I did with the Scarab. I swear that Scarab provided us practically trouble-free boating every time we took it out. What a great boat. I'll miss it, but I'm looking forward to ripping it up in my new toy.

Attachments

• 1980 Excalibur-2.jpg
    1980 Excalibur-2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1980 Excalibur cockpit.jpg
    1980 Excalibur cockpit.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I looked at a 1987 24' Scarab during my recent boat search. I needed to atleast to seat 8 people and I thought the front Hull/Cabin was a waste of space. The engine area was huge. Again more wasted space. Nice looking sport boat if you do not need to carry alot of people.

Oh what took you so long to update your thread.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

waste of space? there's some things you can do in a cabin that you'd get arrested for in a bowrider... :D

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

waste of space? there's some things you can do in a cabin that you'd get arrested for in a bowrider... :D

Yes but the Cabin looked really cramped. Its not like a Cuddy. It would just become a junk Storage.

Scarabs are nice sleek boats though.

Oh and what your thinking about being arrested! There is plenty of shore line, blanket and being discreet for activites like that. :D;)