Yet another 3.0 vs. 4.3 question or two

durdy

Cadet
I've been looking hard at small bowriders and am pretty much sold on the Glastron GT185 for many reasons. Only question is the engine. I know this is a common topic and believe me I've read all the threads but still come away with no solid opinion for this 17.1' boat and my needs.

Prior to going to a dealer this past weekend I'd done a lot of forum browsing and some boat show talking, never about Glastron's specifically. My planned usage is to keep the boat at my cottage, drag the kids on tubes now (they're both under 8), wakeboards and skis later. When people are visiting we'll likely put 5 or 6 people in the boat (everyone wants a ride) and drag anyone who wants to go, possibly but less frequently get them up on skis. I'll also get my wife to pull my fat butt on a ski. We'd do the low speed sunset cruise of our lake most evenings.

I'd talked to a Tahoe salesman who said the 3.0 in the Q4SS would be too small for our growing family and steered us towards the V6 only available in the Q5i. A Larson guy we talked to about their 18' boat said 4.3. Most 4.3 vs. 3.0 posts come down to "get the bigger engine" or "if you pull a skier get the 4.3".

Then we fell in love with the Glastron GT185. After listening to the salesman tell us all the things I already knew about the boat, I said I was interested in the 4.3 assuming he would confirm my preference. He said he "strongly encouraged" we go for the 3.0 for this boat saying it was a better match. He cited the boat being 17' vs 18' and said the 3.0 would do all we wanted it to. A 4.3 on a 18-19' boat was a must he said but not on this one saying the increase in weight on the small boat largely offset the performance gain. He said if we were pulling a lot of "bigger people" and/or we were unsatisfied with the boat's performance then he'd gladly exchange the prop for one with better low-end as long as it wasn't dinged. He said he'd done that only once over the past few years of selling many MXs and GTs. I thought this was an issue of him pushing his 3.0-only inventory but he has more than one 185's with the 4.3 in-stock too. He went so far as to offer to setup a water test with a 3.0 where he'd don a wetsuit and with my wife and I in the boat, go for a ski. According to him he brings in the 4.3s to sell to people who are convinced they need them. I might be that guy. I'm not sure.

Our lake has no marina so every liter of fuel needs to be lugged in by yours truly so consumption is a double factor pushing for the 3.0 but overriding that is the need to buy this boat once and be happy with it for 15 years as the kids grow up.

Questions
1. What do you make of his comments regarding the smaller motor meeting our needs on this 17 footer?
2. Top speed cruising is *not* a priority for us. Is the lower pitch prop with the smaller engine a good option here?
3. For those with the 4.3 on the GT185 or MX or similar 17' boat, did you sell yourself on it or did an experienced dealer push you towards it?

Joebklyn

Cadet
Re: Yet another 3.0 vs. 4.3 question or two

I'm 6'2" weigh 260 wifey is 5'8 and is over 300 easy. What can I say fellas we were both slim once. Anyway I have a Bayliner with a 3.0 it runs too fast (45 mph) with both our fat butts and 3 adults 2 kids being towed. It does it all economically too.

king dad 21

Recruit

I'm 6'2" weigh 260 wifey is 5'8 and is over 300 easy. What can I say fellas we were both slim once. Anyway I have a Bayliner with a 3.0 it runs too fast (45 mph) with both our fat butts and 3 adults 2 kids being towed. It does it all economically too.

how do i ask about my classic 50 mer

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I'm new to boating, but my Dad is not. He told me to not even think about a 4 banger in any boat. I have a 4.3 in my 18 foot Baja and with 4 people in it, it seems a little doggy when taking off. I can't imagine having a 4 cylinder.

As far as fuel mileage goes. Last Sunday we put the boat in the water at 9:30 a.m. and ran it almost all day (until 7 p.m.) and it used a little less than 2 tanks. Which I thought was great! I expected to used more gas, and we didn't baby the thing all day. I bet the majority of the cruising was 3500 rpm plus.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I vote for the 3.0

I had a 4cyl OMC in an 18ft and the power was more than adequate for tubing and single skiing, and my friend with a 4.3 in an 18' certainly has way more power and top speed, but not really needed. I dont need to go 55mph across the lake, and the 4.3 absolutely eats more fuel...

kywildcat

Seaman

I have a 175 Bayliner with the 3.0 Merc and regulary haul 4 adults, a 6' 4" 200 pound 16 year old and an 8 year old. We ski, tube and run around all day on less than a tank. I can easily sling any of them off of the tube any time I feel like they need dunking. I think it has adequate power for anything that I personally would do. But again, our crew is in our mid 40's and the abundance of power thing really isn't anything that I lose sleep over.
A friend of mine has about the same boat with the 4.3 and the only differences we have found is that my boat tops out at about 45 mph and his at about 55, but, his fuel bill is almost 2 times that of what I will spend. I would highly recommend the 3.0. Just my .02 worth.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most people find a 17-18' boat is too small as their family grows, but some are fine with them for many years. Who knows which camp you'll wind up in!

Take the dealer up on the test drive with a skier. If he's a very good skier then it isn't the same as a learner getting up, but you should feel the drag and power OK. If he's bluffing, call his bluff. Load the wife and kids (or some weight) in the boat and put it through the paces. That's not a very heavy boat so maybe the 3.0 will do the job - but people and gear weigh the same in any boat so again, test it out with a heavy load. You kids will want their friends out a lot and maybe relatives, etc.

I don't believe for a second that a 4.3L uses anywhere near 2x the gas in the same boat. Maybe 10-15% more and that's because you can do more. Run them both at 25-30 mph and I doubt it's more than 5-10% difference. I think some 3.0L owners feel they need to justify the decision to buy the lower power option and use great gas mileage to do it. I have no problem with anyone who feels the 3.0L does the job FOR THEM, just keep the true savings in perspective, that's all.

Boats are for FUN and a few $$$ in gas savings is just a drop in the big boat expense bucket! Now, that Glastron vs. a big cruiser.....now you're talking "order of magnitude" gas cost differences!

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

I vote for the 3.0

I had a 4cyl OMC in an 18ft and the power was more than adequate for tubing and single skiing, and my friend with a 4.3 in an 18' certainly has way more power and top speed, but not really needed. I dont need to go 55mph across the lake, and the 4.3 absolutely eats more fuel...

No way on the 3.0L - not if you want to tow more than a few adults + a tube.
Trying to ski an adult with several adults in the boat.. well, you'll need some fat skis or a good skier.

If your kids are small, it's just you and your wife - the 3.0L is fine. If you're ever going to try and lug a 200lb'er out of the water, you'll want the 4.3L.

I'm 190 lbs and I could literally prevent our 3.0L powered Larson from going anywhere if I wanted to. A new MPI powered Stingray...well.. even fatter, I've got no choice but to get dragged on top of the water.

codertimt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a GT 185 with the 4.3. Dealer didn't push me into it...I was actually planning on getting a MX 175 with the 3.0 and he just mentioned a closeout GT 185 and I talked myself into it because of the extended swim platform and larger motor. I'm 250lbs right now, so I figured the extra motor would be nice coming up on a slalom. 15 years ago I could hold on forever and eventually struggle up, but...well, I'm not as young as I used to be...

With 4 good sized adults(~800lbs) and 3 small kids it doesn't jump up on plane...it doesn't really struggle, just not instantaneous... But, that really comes down to prop selection. It's not propped correctly for a full load... Mine came with a 23" pitch...

In the end it mostly comes down to propping. Properly propped for the load, either will probably do you fine. If you're planning on regularly loading you boat close to the limit, I would go with the bigger motor.

As for fuel consumption, you can look at different tests on boattest.com and see that at cruise speed there's not going to be much difference in the two motors. I personally would like to see fuel usage tests while towing. I think you might find for towing that the 4.3 ends up doing at least just as well...

I will close by saying that so far I'm quite pleased with my choice. Pulling a 3 person towable with the wife and kids on it is no problem at all. If anything, I'm still concerned that I will need to drop down in pitch once we load it down and start trying to pull skiers.... So I guess my vote goes 4.3...

donnymac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You'll never say "boy I wish I didn't get a 4.3" My boat is a 2800# deep V cuddy cabin. The boat comes standard with a 3.0 I wanted a 5.0 liter, said it wouldn't fit. Settled for the 4.3. The 4.3 is fine, but i would not complain if it was the 5.0

Had a Searay 17 footer for 5 years. The 3,0 did just fine for me. I topped out at about 35mph but that was fine for me. It was very quick out of the hole and up to plane.

Good luck

sportsnut87

Cadet

Here is my 2 pennies, I posted that I was interested in a 175br SeaRay with a 3.o merc. Family of 6, 2 adults, 12, 10 6 and 4 are the kids.

This weekend went out, my buddies 22 foot deck boat broke, so we loaded up the Sea Ray, 4 adults and 6 kids. I figure around 1100 pounds and just went for a joy ride, nothing crazy. It handled it very well. would I put a tube with it that way, NO, to much stress, but I will tell you we cruised for a bit at 30 mph quite easily. with 10 people in the boat in choppy water.

I will also say that with the family 6 people, I can do anything I want within reason, with kids in the boat. I have pulled a tube with 3 people, had no problem getting a skier up. I love my little boy boat. Top end for it is 48 MPH with me and my son in it. 2 adults I topped out at 45. for a small boat that it plenty fast. If you want to run wide open that motor wont hold up, but if you want to have a good time with kids, My 130 horsepower is plenty.

Will I trade my 1997 Searay with now 66 hours on it for a bigger boat? YES I WILL. I am a 1st time boater and I LOVE IT. But my wife and I like to have friends join us and my boat in the next year or 2 will not be big enough, that is the only reason I would sell it.

Just some thoughts for a very very new boater.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your kids are small and the 3.0 will be adequate now. but not in the future. rather than have to upgrade in 5 years, have a good boat that will still service you, and be paid for, go 4.3 fuel injected, now. Your Kids are going to want to bring a friend each. this comes from 45 years of boating. at 59y/o i now have 3 boats, fishing, 23' deckboat, and my personal 14 ft runabout.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Having owned both engines in the past I would say that the 3.0 is adequate if you want adequate. The 4.3 has much more power and is smoother pulling a skier out of the water. It also does not let a skier jerk the boat around the way a 3.0 does. If you have the disiciplan to stay out of the gas a 4.3 can be somewhat economical. I would get the 4.3 as it has the available power when needed.

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ran a Searay 175 BR in 01 got me up on two skis ok with a couple of adults and a couple of kids, but to get out on one ski was near impossible, when I eventually got out I was too tired to do anything but follow the boat.

45Auto

Commander

Look around for some real data before you take statements like “the 4.3 uses twice as much fuel” at face value………….

Fuel consumption should probably be a pretty minor factor in your decision between the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder. Seems that lots of boaters like to fool themselves about how much fuel they save with a smaller engine. Fact is that 17-18 foot I/O powered boats are going to get right around 5 MPG. Boat efficiency is VERY dependent on water drag (put your car in neutral at 40 MPH and see how far it will coast. Then put your boat in neutral at 40 MPH and see how far it coasts). It takes a given amount of power to push that hull through the water and you have to burn the required fuel to make that power whether the engine is a small 4 cylinder or a larger 6 cylinder. The 6 cylinder has a slight weight penalty, but it also has significantly more power available throughout the entire speed envelope. Available power (beyond what is required to push the boat through the water) is what is used for accelerating, pulling up skiers, pulling tubes, etc.

It’s not that hard to quantify fuel consumption. A flow meter and a GPS will give you REAL data and probably pay for themselves in a season.

The data below came from Boattest.com (free membership).

GlastronChart.jpg

http://www.boattest.com/boats/1233/test_results.aspx 18’ 3.0

http://www.boattest.com/boats/1073/test_results.aspx 18’ 4.3

http://www.boattest.com/boats/1232/test_results.aspx 17’ 3.0

Since you probably won't be spending a whole lot of time off plane (below about 20 MPh) I would call the fuel usage pretty much identical.

I don't have a 17' or 18' bowrider, but my personal experience with a 22' bowrider agrees exactly with their data on 22' bowriders. I've also found that pulling a 3 person tube costs me about .5 MPG.

commandohorn

Cadet

One thing nobody has mentioned is that the 4.3 will have better trade in/resale value when it's time to switch.

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a new boat last year and I was having the dilema. I opted for the 4.3L and I am VERY happy I did. I have no problem pulling skiers, tubes etc. This past summer I pulled three adults on a tube with 3 adults in the boat. Approx weight on tube was 700lbs. I know, a little over the limit but man was it fun.
Go with the 4.3, you will be happier in the long run.

2kwik4u

Seaman Apprentice

One thing nobody has mentioned is that the 4.3 will have better trade in/resale value when it's time to switch.

That doesn't mean anything. You have to pay more up front, so you get that money back when you sell. The motor is like any other option, you pay more upfront so of course you'll get more money on resale.

I have an 18'6" 1998 Rinker with the 3.0L running a stainless 19p prop. Just this weekend I was wakeboarding behind it with 5 other adults in it. We skii'd some, and tubed some as well. Top speed according to the handheld GPS was 41mph with ~3/4 tank of fuel. I've seen as fast as 45mph with less fuel and people. We used 7/8 tank of fuel (or about 18gal) over the course of the day and we put in ~10am, and pulled out ~9pm. Theres a real life scenario for you.

The question becomes if you intend to continue to expand your family and boating needs or not, and if so do you want to keep this boat for 10 years or 2? Right now it's just me and the fiance, so we drag friends along. As soon as kids become part of the picture they'll probably replace the friends for most of the time, and as they age I'm sure they'll want to bring friends along with them. I can easily see this boat carrying us along just fine for many years to come. At the same time if I have a decent opportunity to upgrade without breaking the bank, I'll probably take it. More out of desire than necessity though.

My personal opinion is that the 3.0L is a fine little motor, and will suite your needs well. If you need more pulling power for watersports in the future, it's a lot cheaper to get a new prop than it is to get a new motor!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Look around for some real data before you take statements like ?the 4.3 uses twice as much fuel? at face value????.

Fuel consumption should probably be a pretty minor factor in your decision between the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder. Seems that lots of boaters like to fool themselves about how much fuel they save with a smaller engine. Fact is that 17-18 foot I/O powered boats are going to get right around 5 MPG. Boat efficiency is VERY dependent on water drag (put your car in neutral at 40 MPH and see how far it will coast. Then put your boat in neutral at 40 MPH and see how far it coasts). It takes a given amount of power to push that hull through the water and you have to burn the required fuel to make that power whether the engine is a small 4 cylinder or a larger 6 cylinder. The 6 cylinder has a slight weight penalty, but it also has significantly more power available throughout the entire speed envelope. Available power (beyond what is required to push the boat through the water) is what is used for accelerating, pulling up skiers, pulling tubes, etc.

It?s not that hard to quantify fuel consumption. A flow meter and a GPS will give you REAL data and probably pay for themselves in a season.

The data below came from Boattest.com (free membership).

GlastronChart.jpg

http://www.boattest.com/boats/1233/test_results.aspx 18? 3.0

http://www.boattest.com/boats/1073/test_results.aspx 18? 4.3

http://www.boattest.com/boats/1232/test_results.aspx 17? 3.0

Since you probably won't be spending a whole lot of time off plane (below about 20 MPh) I would call the fuel usage pretty much identical.

I don't have a 17' or 18' bowrider, but my personal experience with a 22' bowrider agrees exactly with their data on 22' bowriders. I've also found that pulling a 3 person tube costs me about .5 MPG.

Good find. So within normal cruising speeds, they both are within a 1/2 mile per gallon of each other. This is good info!